I flew to 320 meters!

ovdt

Hey guys,

It was full of adrenalin. Today, I was trying AD6-HL on a windy weather. Wind was about 13-15 knots (mph), and the gusts was even higher.

I'm going to post the videos soon, it was a bit tricky to control the copter but after a systematic approach I was super comfortable.

Pre-checks:

* Are there enough satellites for locking gps for position hold.
* What is the direction of the nose in terms of degrees. Lets say you're facing to north (350 degrees).

First, I fly 50 meters away from me and switch on altitude hold(AH) and position hold(PH) to see if they are working. After switching off altitude hold, I start to ascend slowly. If the PH is on and AH is off, you ascend and descend without loosing your coordinate (ground point).

While ascending, I carefully watch the craft if it is moving away from the PH point or not. Since today was too windy for flying, full concentration is a must. When the desired altitude is reached, I switch on AH again.

For taking photos, I can yaw as much as I want. I can barely see the craft at this altitude (300 meters). It's impossible to recgonise the nose of the craft. So, best way to understand which direction the craft is facing is to look at the compass values. If you noted the degree when you landed off, you just yaw until you reach your compass angel. Then you can maneuver in the direction you want.

If I want to descend, I just switch off AH and move my throttle stick just below the hover point. So it starts to descend slowly without loosing coordinate.

Or, I just trigger Come Home function when the AH is on. Copter just hovers on the taking off position. Then switch off AH and start to descend slowly.

I try to watch the altitude meter on the Jeti Box, I avoid descending very fast. Ot's hard to understand if it's falling down fast or slow. 1 meter per second is quite enough and efficient for descending.

Without compass and GPS, flying would be impossible at this kind of high altitude with a symetrical design like Droidworx AD6 form the ground. And without FPV, the craft should be visible to you always.

Of course, fully relying on the electronics is not smart. So I always try to practice of taking full control.

The weight factor in high wind is another subject. I'm going to talk about it on another topic.

I'll post other details later today.

View attachment 906
What I've used:

AD6-HL
2x5000 mAh battery packs (600 gr each)
Canon 600D and HFR16 handycam

Attachments

• IMG_9705.jpg
    IMG_9705.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

I read this and I can't wait to build a new machine with altitude & position hold. My current height record is 125 meters (just over 400 feet), but that was done all flying FPV with no holds of any type. Try descending from a height like that with no position hold.. that's some serious adrenalin!

Good job ovdt... can't wait to see the footage!

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Well done, I don't think I would be brave enough to fly that high! Not to mention that it's not allowed here in the UK...I think I would be too worried that I loose reception and it flies away!

ovdt

I was a bit lazy to setup failsafe on my Graupner MX22 equipped with Jeti TUG2 module and Rsat2 reciever. In order to setup fail safe, I need to change the PPM mode to "Computed" which allows me to use just 8 channels (In direct mode I can use 12 channels). It seems there's no firmware update for Rsat2 rx so I can't setup it properly. It's a must to setup failsafe properly before going as high as this.

ovdt

Ok, just check out the ascending part. My friend zoomed in a lot so you can't see details but if you look carefully to 29th second, you'll see how high the copter is at.

Other videos are being uploaded right now.

Pano-Dirk

I was a bit lazy to setup failsafe on my Graupner MX22 equipped with Jeti TUG2 module and Rsat2 reciever. In order to setup fail safe, I need to change the PPM mode to "Computed" which allows me to use just 8 channels (In direct mode I can use 12 channels).

No, there is a firmware upgrade for the RMK 2. I think it is version 2.01.
With this firmware 12 channels and failsafe is possible. I am using it and it is working fine.

Link:
http://mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/JetiReceiver

Dirk