Human Powered Quad getting ready for test flight

gamera.jpg

This is pretty jolly cool

http://www.suasnews.com/2011/05/5450/umd-human-powered-multicopter-ready-for-test-flight/

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
So I have to ask, are you the Gary Mortimer that writes the articles for suasnews or is it just a coincidence that you have the same name?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Gary, assuming you are the correct Gary that authored the article, would you happen to have contact information for the UMD students that are flying the quad tomorrow? I may be available to drive down there and get some pics for the site as a news piece.
Thanks,
Bart

matwelli

will be amazing to see if it actually flies

total weight 210 lbs, about 100kg.

If a healthy human can produce about 300-400 watts of energy, in a multicopter that can lift 2-3 kg's , will be very interesting to see how they get 50 times that amount of lift

Good luck to them, hope it works !

Macsgrafs

Watching it now, I think they have the wrong blade section, they need an undercambered section like used on gliders.

Ross

Macsgrafs

:rolleyes:Anticlimax

I think in my opinion they need to reduce rotor size, make them clark Y or under cambered section (like glider) & alter the gearing to make the main rotors spin faster, he little legs were going like a belt fed wombat but the rotors were hardly spinning! A lot more work is needed to get this baby off the deck! Just my thoughts of course.

Ross