How to improve piloting skills?

EkremH

Hi,

I'm new to the RF world. I recently built a DJI Naza F450 kit and got to fly it 4-5 times. I can move the quad around ok in ATTI mode but things I can do are limited. I also tried Manual mode once but crashed very badly. I need some tips on following issues.

ATTI mode:

1. I feel nervous to go high or let quad go too far. Not sure if I can bring it back if it flies away. I do not have a GPS unit or return home funcitonality.
2. I hear that RF range is over 20km? Is that right? So there is no risk of getting out of range in visual flight?

NORMAL mode:
1. What's the best strategy to transition to NOMRAL mode? What should I be most aware of?
2. How can I start doing some basic acrobatics like flips, etc?

I tried software simulators. Does anyone know of any good (preferably free) simulators? I practiced some on HELI-X4 and that helped a great deal on my last two flights. However the free version has only one quad model and that flies quite differently than the Naza. (ex: when moving forward or sideways it dips, Naza always holds altitude, etc.)

Any suggestions on simulators? Would they be the best way to improve?

Thanks in advance. :nevreness:

janoots2

Aerosim is well worth the money. They have training drills to practice with as well. As soon as you can complete all the drills confidently, you'll be in pretty good shape to start building your real world skills. Worked for me...

EkremH

Aerosim is well worth the money. They have training drills to practice with as well. As soon as you can complete all the drills confidently, you'll be in pretty good shape to start building your real world skills. Worked for me...

Yes, I have the AeroSim installed. They have + configured quads. Do you know of any X configured ones? Can you install new models to the simualtor?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I used to promote sims and still do but I think they are mainly good for getting yourself used to the basic controls. I would buy a Ladybird and just fly! The reason flying is better is that you have some kind of consequence for error. In a sim you just dont fly the same as nothing matters. Learn to hover, fly pointed left,right, then finally nose in. If you get in a panic, a good safe spot is to quickly yaw your heli so it is nose out/tail in. Once you get used to those basic maneuvers you will be ready to buy something worth a little more money. Dont rely on GPS when learning. Put in the hours and really learn the coordination of rudder/cyclic. Get away from the simulator as soon as possible.

flitelab

I used to promote sims and still do but I think they are mainly good for getting yourself used to the basic controls. I would buy a Ladybird and just fly! The reason flying is better is that you have some kind of consequence for error. In a sim you just dont fly the same as nothing matters. Learn to hover, fly pointed left,right, then finally nose in. If you get in a panic, a good safe spot is to quickly yaw your heli so it is nose out/tail in. Once you get used to those basic maneuvers you will be ready to buy something worth a little more money. Dont rely on GPS when learning. Put in the hours and really learn the coordination of rudder/cyclic. Get away from the simulator as soon as possible.

I'd agree as well. Grab an mQX or one of the Chinese small quads and learn on it, gives you a better "feel" than a sim I find.