How to determine best batteries setup / flight time

Cswann821

Hello ,

Can anyone explain or have a good source to explain how I would find the best battery arrangement for my quad? I'm currently getting ready to purchase batteries for a new build and am trying to determine if I should go 4s or 3s, and what performance changes ill get connecting two batteries together, before purchasing the batteries themselves. I'm running 4x ipower 2217q 880kv motors on a next level 650 dj naza v2 setup with 9" props. Ill prob have to know its weight, but i also need to know what other variables go into estimating flight time useing different Mah and C ratings useing a single or series battery setup.
Oh and if I go 4s , would can i use to step down the voltage to power on board 12v camera and tx ect?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll let others chime in for how the battery selection ties in with the motors and props sizes. But I will suggest not putting batteries in series since two 2S batteries doesn't buy you anything a 4S wouldn't. However, if in parallel, that does help and I've read many users on this forum (myself included in my hexa) that do that.
On my F450 quad I use a single 3s 6000mah and found that to be the sweet spot for mine. I had some 4S batteries but don't use them anymore. For my [stock] motors and 10" props it not advised to use 4S, and I like that I don't have to step down the voltage for the LEDs.