How important is "vertical" balance?

I've gotten mixed answers as to weather we officially call it the Y axis or the Z axis, but I'm talking about top-to-bottom of the craft. I've been flying an F550 for a while now and originally had it configured with a gimbal below and the battery strapped to the top, it wasn't perfectly balanced, but it handled pretty well. Recently I've attached the aeroxcraft landing skids because it has rails to bring the camera out in front of the props, and you can hang the battery from the back to balance that out. Now I have nothing on the top except the GPS. Since this upgrade the handling has been just a little extra wonky and sluggish, it feels like it takes a little more to stabilize itself, like it's got a big heavy pendulum hanging under it.

I'd think that balancing vertically would be important to fix this, but many of the big "pro" rigs I see sure seem to be really bottom heavy with no issues. What are the experts thoughts on this? Should I put the battery back on top?

fpmurphy

I think that it depends on the Flight Controller. I know that SuperX flies a lot better if it's closer to the center of gravity on every axis. Some flight controllers may have settings for CG offsets.

fpmurphy

Supposedly, the Naza doesn't care too much about the CG. Is it balanced on all other axes? If you notice that it flies better with the battery on top, I'd keep it there. Maybe mount it more towards the back to counter act the gimbal weight? You might try adjusting the gains.

I have a 550 with the same landing gear, but I'm running the SuperX. I keep the battery on the bottom and haven't had any issues with the lower CG.