How Do You Avoid Sparking During Battery Connection

Ronan

After installing over 20 setup (probably more than that now) with the XT150 and AN150 there should be ZERO spark if done properly.

Here is a photo of how it's attached/wired. Plug the black/negative first and then the red/positive (you push them together, they slide a bit in = 1 step and then quickly push them all the way in = 2nd step).
Zero spark and if done properly your craft comes to live properly. If not done properly it can spark and/or the craft doesn't initialize properly (you get a low voltage issue). Simply re-plug the connectors.
attachment.php

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2vi60ht.jpg

Attachments

• DJI AN150 XT150 SETUP.jpg
    DJI AN150 XT150 SETUP.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 298

Ronan

Also, be careful of the RED AN150 Connector on the craft, it has a yellow ring that creates the resistance, if cracked/damaged, your anti-spark feature stops working!

SJBrit

I ended up putting the female black connector on my craft and the male red one - double idiot-proofing myself :)

RotorJockey

attachment.php
Hi Guys

Here is a drawing of a 'Poormans Anti Spark' contraption using standard connectors. Hope it's clear!

Paul

Attachments

• SparkFreeHarness.JPG
    SparkFreeHarness.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 314

Mojave

Does anyone use switches for their multirotor?

I saw this come out in an email earlier this week and I thought: Does anyone use switches for their multirotor to avoid sparking? I have never heard of switches on a multirotor. Can someone explain why? I thought of the extra weight, or with the electronic Jeti ones below the expense. Does anyone think that these still cause a spark when the manual or electric contacts are closed? Here is the text from the advertisement (the link is at the bottom):

Jeti Main 5-52V/100A & 200A Electronic Main Power Switches with Telemetry and Wireless R3/RSW or Magnetic Switch!!! (Due Next Week)

Main Switch is an electronic switch designed primarily for switching of main power supply of the RC model. It adds an element of safety when handling the model, without the need to physically disconnect the model's batteries. A big advantage of electronic switches in comparison to mechanical switches is in general their higher reliability as far as vibration resistance is concerned. Another advantage of the electronic switch is its ability to withstand an unlimited number of switching cycles. Electronic switches have no moving parts like contacts which would be worn out during switching processes, their longevity is extremely high.

The Main Switch is primarily designed for switching the main battery power supply of the RC models, but can also be used in applications where switching a DC power supply.

JETIMSW100Ma Jeti Power Main Switch 100A w/Magnetic Switch $190.00
JETIMSW100R3 Jeti Power Main Switch 100A w/R3 Wireless Switch $210.00
JETIMSW200Ma Jeti Power Main Switch 200A w/Magnetic Switch $230.00
JETIMSW200R3 Jeti Power Main Switch 200A w/R3 Wireless Switch $290.00

http://file.espritmodel.com/newslett...letter-2014111 [see bottom of page]

RotorJockey

A mechanical switch, although rated for high Amps, will still spark if placed in the direct line between battery and MR. This will have the same destructive action on the contacts. Using a solid-state switch (Jeti is one?) introduces a series loss of a few milli-ohms (no transistor junction is zero), thus preventing the full power to reach the MR - and is another failure-path due to its complexity and high power handling. The loss-factor can be eliminated by first charging the capacitors, and then closing a mechanical switch. But then the cost factor also has to be considered, together with the complexity and possible failure.
Weight is an important consideration, so the eventual decision will rest on all these factors collectively.
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Sir!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojave

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Sir!

[MENTION=6265]RotorJockey[/MENTION]; - thanks for the reality check; I am a big fan of the K.I.S.S. principle!

(Also a big fan of the Northern Cape; Umdaus, Richtersveldt, Hellskloof - revisiting in 2016!)