How do I eliminate Jello?

egoli

I am looking to get into the aerial photography/video business in a small way to test the waters. Being retired from the audio visual business, I have a solid working knowledge of professional photography and video but, aside from flying (and fixing) my micro quad, I don’t understand the complexities of rc flying platforms very well.
My thought is to become able to supply aerial photography/video just below the broadcast TV level so that I can advertise, become known, and begin generating business. If there is sufficient interest, I will then invest the money I have generated in higher end gear.
After a lot of surfing I think the Phantom AR flying a GoPro Hero 3 Black might produce saleable results for most of our local market uses. But, I am extremely concerned about Jello. From what I have read, even stills can be affected.
Does anyone have advice on this? Are there better rc platforms at a similar price? Is there a way to eliminate the jello effect completely?
Any good advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Jack

egoli

Thanks for your advice. I would, of course, make sure that the props are balanced. And I have read lots about cushioning the camera against vibrations. But, like you said, it still seems very hit and miss. Jack

Breezemont

There is a whole industry dedicated to vibration isolation. That tells you how tricky it can be.
I "discovered" jello myself quite by accident one day. I had been having some success getting clear footage
but my piloting skills needed some work. One day in the middle of a shoot I had a gust flip the Y6 on takeoff (that's my story and I'm sticking to it...) that broke a couple of props. No biggie - change them out and away we go. I get a few more gigs of what I think is good stuff, but when I got home and looked at the footage I was gutted.

What sucks is that unless you have a big HD screen in the field, it's almost impossible to see unless it's really bad.
That was a couple of years ago, and I've been through lots of "solutions" since - the wire rope ISO is the first one that
has given me the confidence to try committing to another all-day shoot in the middle of nowhere.
When I was satisfied with the results, I put them up for sale because if someone had told me 2 years ago I could seriously address the problem for $30 I would have jumped at it.
I would have saved myself a ton of time and money too.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexacop

HexaCop
I'm using KamKop anti vibration dampers, even they are a little expensive they are the best dampers I have had so far, and believe me I have tested most of them.
This is the description from his page:
This anti-vibration damper has been specially designed for multicopters to completely eliminate low and high frequency vibrations from motors and props. The anti-vibration damper is based on silicone gel covered by a light aluminum case. The anti-vibration damper can be easily mounted with two M4 screws between copter frame and the camera gimbal. You can easily carry up to 2kg payload with 4 dampers.
There are no restrictions when you use these dampers with a camera gimbal including landing gear.
and as small video how to mount them:

Last edited by a moderator: