Mikrokopter How Complicated is the Transitation to MK tried of problems with my HoverFly Pro

Michael64

How and where is the best place to start learning about the building, programming of the MK Hexa. I had a hexa with HFP board and seems to always have some sort of problem with it. Thinking of buying a MK Hexa and was wondering how steep is the learning curve.

Thanks
Michael64

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Michael and welcome to MRF..

The best thing to do is pop along to this google page and have a good sift through the very informative information published by one of our members Recce2

https://sites.google.com/site/mkokto2/home

Good luck and keep us posted. Dont hesitate to jump back in when you need more info

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
How and where is the best place to start learning about the building, programming of the MK Hexa. I had a hexa with HFP board and seems to always have some sort of problem with it. Thinking of buying a MK Hexa and was wondering how steep is the learning curve.

Thanks
Michael64

It's actually pretty easy, you can convert what you already have with just two boards and have everything the Hoverfly Pro does (except the OSD) and it actually works. My Hoverfly Pro is now sitting in its original box on my workbench mainly because I'm tired of the firmware problems also.

If you get the MK 2.1 flight controller and an I2C converter you can swap out the H/F board and use the converter to connect it to the PWM ESC's you already have. The MK will fly quite well with the out of the box software setup so you don't have to worry too much about any programming beyond making sure the basic setup is configured properly to get started and we can certainly help you with that.

You can find the I2C converter here... http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

Once you have the basics working then you can consider getting the navigation, compass, and GPS boards to get the full capability of the MK flight controller. The official Mikrokopter website has a getting started guide here... http://www.mikrokopter.com/ucwiki/en/Mikrokopter-Get-started

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ditto what ken and dave (dave and ken) said. i'm still flying with the beginner settings and don't intend to change them.
bart

Michael64

Thanks alot guys I am new to this forum and have been in RC for too many years to count. Looks like I found the right place I appreciate the links and will start reading from there.
Also RTRyder I was using the 30 amp RC timers ESCs and had 3 of them burn up in flight I was using RC Timers 2836-11 750 KV motor now Iam little learly of them, could I ask what recommedations for motors and ESC do you use. When I rebuild I really the Hexa style copter over a quad or Y6. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated and thanks again, Iam sure I will have alot more questions.

Michael64

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks alot guys I am new to this forum and have been in RC for too many years to count. Looks like I found the right place I appreciate the links and will start reading from there.
Also RTRyder I was using the 30 amp RC timers ESCs and had 3 of them burn up in flight I was using RC Timers 2836-11 750 KV motor now Iam little learly of them, could I ask what recommedations for motors and ESC do you use. When I rebuild I really the Hexa style copter over a quad or Y6. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated and thanks again, Iam sure I will have alot more questions.

Michael64

My own standard configuration is now Turnigy Plush ESC's and Flycam motors as sold by Minsoo Kim in Korea (kkmulticopter.kr) for most of my quads and other craft that get used and abused heavily. My current MK multis are still going to be 100% MK with the BL controllers, any new builds using the MK flight controller will most likely use an I2C converter and standard PWM ESC's mainly because I can buy as many as 6 Turnigy ESC's for the price of 1 BL 2.0.

For motors I buy according to what the intended use is. My Droidworx AD-6 heavy lifter has Pulso motors currently and if/when I get to the point of thinking about replacements I may go with AXI which are roughly 2X the price for an equivalent motor. If there's going to be hundreds of $ worth of camera equipment hanging underneath I'm not going to depend on $20 motors of variable quality to keep it in the air, for something I toss around the sky doing loops, rolls, and flips I'll use the low $ motors.

Ken

Buzzed

Michael64 if you want to get familiar with the handling AeroSim makes a sim that supports the Quad, Hexa, and Octo. You can start flying even before you get the MK.

Michael64

I should clear the meaning transition flying is no problem for me I have been Helis for about 11 years and just whated to do something different and I do Aerial Photography and Video as well so more to the point was the building and programming curve with MK because I know the work like a good swiss watch. I whated to know if I jumped in how deep was the water going to so to speak.

Thanks Michael64

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Michael.. if I can do it anyone can.. never ever had touched a rc controller let alone flew anything .. well other than paper planes.

I was terrified at the thought.. 6 months on I am still learning something new on the MK everyday. It aint the best documented sUAS but there is a lot of info out there its just finding it. The best resource on the planet is HERE. The old timer's (sorry guys) on here love to jump in and help out and because it is a Global community it ait usually long before some one is pitching, crashing, buzzing, riding, or just bumbling in to help..

Dave