Hoverfly HoverflyGIMBAL Firmware/Setup Client version 1.6 - Even Newer and More Improved!

GGoodrum

I just loaded in v1.6 and gave it a try with my F550/AG550v2 setup. Unfortunately, the yaw coupling issue is back, both with the pitch axis and the roll axis. I didn't redo the temp calibration, which I'm guessing is the problem. Bummer! :shame:

-- Gary

Adidas4274

I just loaded in v1.6 and gave it a try with my F550/AG550v2 setup. Unfortunately, the yaw coupling issue is back, both with the pitch axis and the roll axis. I didn't redo the temp calibration, which I'm guessing is the problem. Bummer! :shame:

-- Gary

I am thinking that the yaw coupling is due to EMF from the camera...... the HF G is really the most sensitive board to EMF I have ever used.

Is there a technical reason that is it most sensitive than the HFpro board with the GPS?

GGoodrum

I am thinking that the yaw coupling is due to EMF from the camera...... the HF G is really the most sensitive board to EMF I have ever used.

Is there a technical reason that is it most sensitive than the HFpro board with the GPS?

No, something changed between v1.3 and this new v1.6 version. My setup has not changed at all. Below is the video from a few days ago, that has v1.3 loaded. You can see that although there's the already discussed "jello" issue and the tilt gains are pretty far off, there's no yaw coupling issue.

The only thing I did this morning was to load the latest v1.6 firmware in, and I tweaked the tilt gains a bit. That's it. Here's the result:

When you yaw left, it rolls left and when you yaw right it rolls right. Dan, at HF, suggested I try turning off the "Magnetmometer assisted heading" box in the new Gimbal Control tab, but when I checked this, it was already off. I tried saving settings a few times, and I tweaked the tilt gains a bit more (very close now...), saved them again, and rebooted the gimbal, but it didn't seem to help much. Also, I can't seem to get it to do the yaw problem when I just turn everything on, and manually yaw the platform around. As soon as I fire it up outside, with the motors running and with it in the air, and I yaw left and right off the original heading, the roll coupling occurs again.

I know this really does point to a weird EMI issue, but it didn't start doing this until I loaded v1.6. Also, there's really nothing that is very close to the board, as you can see in the attached pics. There's a good three inches down to the top of the RX100, with a 3mm CF plate in between. The servos, ESCs and motors are even farther away.

Next up, I'm going to see about going back to v1.3, and hope the problem goes away. We'll see. :)

-- Gary

Attachments

• AG550v2-RX-08.jpg
    AG550v2-RX-08.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 256
  • AG550v2-RX-10.jpg
    AG550v2-RX-10.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 270
  • AG550v2-RX-14.jpg
    AG550v2-RX-14.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 263
  • AG550v2-RX-15.jpg
    AG550v2-RX-15.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 262
  • AG550v2-RX-16.jpg
    AG550v2-RX-16.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited by a moderator:

Whopis

No, something changed between v1.3 and this new v1.6 version.

Next up, I'm going to see about going back to v1.3, and hope the problem goes away. We'll see. :)

Let me know how the 1.3 version works. I am going to have a look through the code. I did not think anything changed that could cause the effect that you are seeing - but there were some tweaks made in the pitch/roll estimate code. Nothing that should have changed the behavior - just a bit of rearranging of the code.

GGoodrum

Let me know how the 1.3 version works. I am going to have a look through the code. I did not think anything changed that could cause the effect that you are seeing - but there were some tweaks made in the pitch/roll estimate code. Nothing that should have changed the behavior - just a bit of rearranging of the code.

Yep, something in either v1.5 or v1.6 got broken. I loaded v1.03 back in and did another test flight this morning with zero yaw-roll coupling issues.

I have the gains dialed in pretty close now, but the tilt settings still could use a bit more tweaking, I think. With this latest AG550v2 variant of our gimbal, we are now using modified BLS950 servos and a high-end, MIL-spec, external pot, and have increased the belt drive ratio to 2.8:1 (from 2.5:1...). I think there is a slight lag so I want to try bumping up the acceleration value a bit. Right now I've had both acceleration settings at 0.

Anyway, I'm sticking to v1.03, for now, at least until HF has a chance to find what is causing this issue.

-- Gary

Last edited by a moderator: