Hoverfly is at the RNC

jes1111

Considering the nature of the anticipated protests and with what United Drones will be charging the tax payers for their "services", I'm not sure you want to publicise this fact, Al.

Just my $0.02 :)

arif2209

hi Al, i'm interested in this :
"The 41/2-foot-wide Aether Aero, which resembles a small helicopter, can fly up to 4,000 feet high and, with a specially built battery, can operate up to four hours at a time,"
is there any way i can get more info on this.

cheers

hjls3

Aerial Drones No longer just used in the tribal areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan, United Drones' 4 1/2-foot-wide Aether Aero, a tiny-looking helicopter drone, will be provide "intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance to government agencies" during the Tampa convention, reports The Tribune. "It is equipped with a 109x optical zoom camera, can lift up to 50 pounds and is so light it can be picked up with two fingers."

View attachment 5900

Found the pic and description online.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-08-24 at 1.39.04 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-08-24 at 1.39.04 PM.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 216

jes1111

"109x optical zoom camera" on that flimsy little gimbal? Good luck with that ;)

This looks like the landing page for a teenager's video game: http://uniteddrones.com/

Need-to-know basis - what's the secret password? oooooh!

Stacky

Im betting they dont need cinema or broadcast quality video for surveillance work so a high end and probably heavier gimbal wouldnt be suitable.

jes1111

109x zoom - let's start at, say, 24mm (35mm equiv.). So 109x times that is 2616mm! You'd need a 20-ton concrete block to keep that lens still on the ground - irrespective of what sensor was behind it.

4,000 feet? 50 pounds payload? Four hours duration? Come on! It's all hype! Somebody has a serious "in" with the overgrown kiddies that spend tax dollars on this sort of nonsense.

Congrats to Al for making the sale but I, for one, am not impressed by the client :)

jrlederer

Did anyone else catch this?

"We will be there, basically Sunday through the end of convention," Winter said. "We could fly in a hurricane. It is gyro-stabilized."

Lol. Must be some flight controller.

jes1111

So, in fact, the opposite of what I suggested - this "United Drones" does not have a place at the tax-dollar titty - he's just "kiting" in the hopes of getting one. A major BSer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
Thats not a picture of what they built. Not shure where you got that....share the link.

Aerial Drones No longer just used in the tribal areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan, United Drones' 4 1/2-foot-wide Aether Aero, a tiny-looking helicopter drone, will be provide "intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance to government agencies" during the Tampa convention, reports The Tribune. "It is equipped with a 109x optical zoom camera, can lift up to 50 pounds and is so light it can be picked up with two fingers."

View attachment 7827

Found the pic and description online.

Photronix

Pilot
I have to ask....are you jesolins from RCGroups?

109x zoom - let's start at, say, 24mm (35mm equiv.). So 109x times that is 2616mm! You'd need a 20-ton concrete block to keep that lens still on the ground - irrespective of what sensor was behind it.

4,000 feet? 50 pounds payload? Four hours duration? Come on! It's all hype! Somebody has a serious "in" with the overgrown kiddies that spend tax dollars on this sort of nonsense.

Congrats to Al for making the sale but I, for one, am not impressed by the client :)

jes1111

No, I'm not. Sorry that I rained on your parade, Al - mucho respect for your company and products - but I smelled a rat and had to follow it up.

hjls3

Thats not a picture of what they built. Not shure where you got that....share the link.

here you go.

http://golden-rule.org/category/mainstream-news/

given what us private individuals are capable of, i am rather sure that tech exist that is pretty amazing and perhaps these claims are not too far fetched. none the less, i for one, happen to be glad they are not flying at the RNC. That much attention on a accident, if one were too happen and they do, would be the end of the fun for most of us. Borders, search and rescue - awesome. flying over RNC with the world watching - not so awesome.