Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal---Running into some issues

jascamera

Guys

I am working on the roll and tilt axis at the moment. I figure out the correction movements and seem to work good on both tilt and roll. But problem is when the servo in neutral, it goes back and forth like the gain too high. I try lower the acceleration gain, correction become sluggish, yet the jitter on neutral still persist. At 4.8v there's no jitter on tilt, but have it on roll. At 6V, jitter are on both tilt and roll.

And other problem on the roll mostly, when camera is load on the mount, it seem like the board is not providing enough power, roll sometime stuck and can't move, but once tested with just the receiver, roll works just fine. And the Board sometime resets itself.

Also anyone can enlighten me on how to activate the pan axis? I can't seem to have the pan moving.

I modified my own pots with 5K 3 turn on tilt and 5k 5 turns on pan. They work just fine with just receiver, but jitter only happen when plugged into the Hoverfly gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Photronix

Pilot
If you have already adjusted your acceleration until the jitter stops then the problem sounds mechanical.

Often what happens is the HoverflyGIMBAL sends continuous movement commands out but the gimbal sticks a bit and once the movement commands go beyond the friction point the axis moves abruptly or in a step fashion.

I know the first place assume there is a problem is the control electronics but the movement resolution is much finer than the mechanics can achieve.

Guys

I am working on the roll and tilt axis at the moment. I figure out the correction movements and seem to work good on both tilt and roll. But problem is when the servo in neutral, it goes back and forth like the gain too high. I try lower the acceleration gain, correction become sluggish, yet the jitter on neutral still persist. At 4.8v there's no jitter on tilt, but have it on roll. At 6V, jitter are on both tilt and roll.

And other problem on the roll mostly, when camera is load on the mount, it seem like the board is not providing enough power, roll sometime stuck and can't move, but once tested with just the receiver, roll works just fine. And the Board sometime resets itself.

Also anyone can enlighten me on how to activate the pan axis? I can't seem to have the pan moving.

I modified my own pots with 5K 3 turn on tilt and 5k 5 turns on pan. They work just fine with just receiver, but jitter only happen when plugged into the Hoverfly gimbal.

jascamera

Is there a setting in the software that can adjust gain when servo is at neutral. It jitters even when servo is not loaded. I am not saying the electronic is bad. Just looking for solution options.

tumad

Is there a setting in the software that can adjust gain when servo is at neutral. It jitters even when servo is not loaded. I am not saying the electronic is bad. Just looking for solution options.

This might sound obvious, but did you check your actual servo? Even if it is new, try another servo on that axis and see if it jitters.
Also, if your supply voltage is to low for the servo, you will experience jitters. Make sure your supply lipo is sufficiently charged.
You might want to try some expo setting on your servo on your radio.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Jascamera called me and told me a different servo solved the issue. I thought I'd post this so the result was known. He said it's not compatible with high performance HiTec servos.

tumad

Jascamera called me and told me a different servo solved the issue. I thought I'd post this so the result was known. He said it's not compatible with high performance HiTec servos.

I use high performance HITec servos without any issues

jascamera

I was using hitec hs7940th, .06 with 200oz of torque, jitter no matter what setting that i use, changing dead band, battery, pot for the past 4 days. I also know someone using these servos running into the same problems.
today changed servos, all jitters gone and seem to work properly.