Hoverfly Hoverfly Gimbal Causing Roll Axis "Drift"

BIGTACO

I am in the process of bringing a new 2 axis camera gimbal to market. I have been using the Hoverflygimbal on my multiple prototype revisions and its worked very well.

But, recently I have an issue I am stumped on. I already submitted this problem off the HF support to get their imput but I figured maybe someone on this forum has delt with it already and may have some ideas to troubleshoot.

What happens is when I yaw the craft in either direction my roll axis drifts away on me. It looses horizontal and will drift down towards the direction I am turning the craft. Then once I stop yawing the bird the axis will level out fine. Very strange thing for sure. I have uploaded the most current version of firmware from HF and still the issue remains. I also tried to increase my acceleration rate gains up (as suggested by HF). I upped the roll gain all the way from 400 to 600 and still no change.

Anyone have any suggestions?

hoverben

Person of Interest
Hi BIGTACO,

Having taken a look at the photograph you sent in, I believe you may need to move the mounting position of the HoverflyGIMBAL to the other side of the gimbal, away from the servos.

Best of luck with your new product, and please keep me informed of any other concerns you may have.

BIGTACO

Ben,

Again many thanks for the suggestion. I plan to make the change tonight and see how it does. I have a good feeling this will work.

On another topic. Should I set my compass calibration settings up? I have never set that on the HFG. To be honest I don't even know what that function does... Can you explain what its purpose is?

hoverben

Person of Interest
Compass calibration is used by the magnetic heading lock feature. Since that is primarily a yaw feature - an axis your product doesn't have - I don't see much benefit to you in setting it up.