Hope you are not in Charlottesville - Drone ban

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
This is getting scary.

What about a little regulation. I'd be happy to get a license, or register my rigs as I only intend to do legal things. Or, well I mean, what SHOULD be legal things.

Kilby

That title is a little misleading. They aren't banning them, only stating that they can't be used to obtain information that could later be used in the courts.

The resolution, passed Monday, "calls on the United States Congress and the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia to adopt legislation prohibiting information obtained from the domestic use of drones from being introduced into a Federal or State court," and "pledges to abstain from similar uses with city-owned, leased, or borrowed drones."

It's still pretty scary though. The original bill was trying to outlaw them outright.

Other states are still working on legislation against drone use. So far, Texas, Nebraska, Oregon (probably the strictest), Missouri, Florida, North Dakota & California all have bills in the works.

http://www.dronejournalismlab.org/p...-nine-states-looking-to-restrict-uav-use-more

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for clarifying Kilby. I wouldnt be surprised though if the domino effect starts taking place. it's easier to say no than to make rules that work for everyone. Although, the fact this generates millions in tax $'s might make a difference.

Danub

With all of this negativity surrounding drones I am glad I fly RC multicopters FPV style. . . I don't have no drones here ;)

HPL

I think that you are conflating use by the private sector and abuse by the public (read govt) sector. I don't interpret that resolution as even suggesting that using a remotely piloted aerial vehicle to perform legitimate aerial photography for various commercial purposes that would currently be completely legal using a manned aerial vehicle should be outlawed. Their position is in relation to restraining governmental use of UAV to "spy" on the citizenry. I'm right with them on that point.

Dewster

I think that you are conflating use by the private sector and abuse by the public (read govt) sector. I don't interpret that resolution as even suggesting that using a remotely piloted aerial vehicle to perform legitimate aerial photography for various commercial purposes that would currently be completely legal using a manned aerial vehicle should be outlawed. Their position is in relation to restraining governmental use of UAV to "spy" on the citizenry. I'm right with them on that point.

I agree that is the basis of the law. What's scary is how the law makers try slap an all inclusive ban on "drones" just so that they can keep growing marijuana in their back yards. Lol.

Tomstoy2

I agree that is the basis of the law. What's scary is how the law makers try slap an all inclusive ban on "drones" just so that they can keep growing marijuana in their back yards. Lol.

I hear you, indoors is much easier to control bugs!

jcmonty

Sigh.. stories like this are getting too commonplace. I can guarantee you that none of the people pushing these laws have seen some of the truly amazing and artistic work people are doing here. Sure, "drones" can be used for bad purposes. But so can pretty much anything. You slap the word "drone" on something - which now carries a negative connotation, and people freak out. UAVs have done a lot of good - but you never hear that side of things. The funny thing is that whenever I fly my copter - people are either a) amazed b) want to let me know how cool it is c) want to know how to get one or hire me out for work. I have yet to have someone come up to me a yell about drones

Photronix

Pilot
...people pushing these laws have seen some of the truly amazing and artistic work people are doing here. ...

I wholeheartedly agree. Here in the 7th Congressional district here in Florida John Mica has at least been receptive and we have met with him a hand full of times. They recently asked us to film the ribbon cutting ceremony on their regional office. Now I am not particularly proud of the video quality I just sort of threw a quad in the air and shot this. But it was a small effort by us to show them directly. They loved it.

BTW everyone there loved it. We told people it was a aerial robot and they were fascinated. When you tell them its a "drone" they back off with a look of disgust. Its the media's fault...the low informed public doesn't understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Al, that may be one of the best ideas yet. Let's all agree to promote this hobby as Aerial robots from here fourth when we encounter fresh minds. People are too easily coerced into the negative connotation of the word Drone. This is exactly what we need. If not "aerial robot" lets agree to change the nomenclature to something more interesting, less intimidating, something unknown and perhaps something positive.

ghaynes

So there is good news. This was a 'resolution', not a law. you can read the text at https://www.rutherford.org/files_im...rone_Exclusion_Resolution_Charlottesville.pdf. Rutherford Institute is the ones who drove this with the help of one of the council members according to news reports. Please note that they also passed a resolution the same day about getting out of foreign wars.

The City Council of Charlottesville, Virginia, home of Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and the University of Virginia, passed on Tuesday evening, January 17, 2012, a resolution believed to be a first in the country, opposing the launching of a war on Iran, as well as calling for an end to current ground and drone wars engaged in by the United States and urging Congress and the President of the United States to significantly reduce military spending.

More chilling is this excerpt from a position paper at Rutherford:

Protect People’s First Amendment Rights
o Drones will be outfitted with crowd control weapons. Vanguard Defense Industries has
confirmed that its Shadowhawk drone, which is already being sold to law enforcement
agencies throughout the country, will be outfitted with lethal weapons, including a
grenade launcher or a shotgun, and weapons of compliance, such as tear gas
and rubber buckshot.

Such aerial police weapons send a clear and chilling message to those
attempting to exercise their First Amendment rights by taking to the streets and protesting
government policies—the message: stay home.

Wow....

HPL

So there is good news. This was a 'resolution', not a law. you can read the text at https://www.rutherford.org/files_im...rone_Exclusion_Resolution_Charlottesville.pdf. Rutherford Institute is the ones who drove this with the help of one of the council members according to news reports. Please note that they also passed a resolution the same day about getting out of foreign wars.

The City Council of Charlottesville, Virginia, home of Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, and the University of Virginia, passed on Tuesday evening, January 17, 2012, a resolution believed to be a first in the country, opposing the launching of a war on Iran, as well as calling for an end to current ground and drone wars engaged in by the United States and urging Congress and the President of the United States to significantly reduce military spending.

More chilling is this excerpt from a position paper at Rutherford:

Protect People’s First Amendment Rights
o Drones will be outfitted with crowd control weapons. Vanguard Defense Industries has
confirmed that its Shadowhawk drone, which is already being sold to law enforcement
agencies throughout the country, will be outfitted with lethal weapons, including a
grenade launcher or a shotgun, and weapons of compliance, such as tear gas
and rubber buckshot.

Such aerial police weapons send a clear and chilling message to those
attempting to exercise their First Amendment rights by taking to the streets and protesting
government policies—the message: stay home.

Wow....

That's a pretty Orwellian term right there.

HPL

Al, that may be one of the best ideas yet. Let's all agree to promote this hobby as Aerial robots from here fourth when we encounter fresh minds. People are too easily coerced into the negative connotation of the word Drone. This is exactly what we need. If not "aerial robot" lets agree to change the nomenclature to something more interesting, less intimidating, something unknown and perhaps something positive.

Not sure that's such a cuddly term either. Ever read "I Robot", "2001 a Space Odyssey", "I have no Mouth but I Must Scream" or any number of other dystopian tale of the future?