HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0 (Atmega328 PA)

Macsgrafs

Hi guys,

Just ordered one of these boards, thought I might make a tri-copter for some FPV fun & giving the Mrs something to fly. I'm clueless with regard to this board, so can someone tell me what firmware it will take or anything else it could be used for???

Ross

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Not sure about v3,if you head over to RCG have a search for kapteinkuk improved firmware for v2,try v4.7.

sent from my phone using my finger.

RCNut

I use KK Tri v1.6 in my Tricopter. Seems to work very well. My controller is a KK plus 5.5e from multircshop but the Hobby King board takes the same firmware.

Macsgrafs

I use KK Tri v1.6 in my Tricopter. Seems to work very well. My controller is a KK plus 5.5e from multircshop but the Hobby King board takes the same firmware.

May I ask what motors/ESC's & props you are using, just trying to get an idea of what works well with a tri.

Ross

RCNut

Hi Ross.

The mechanics of mine were based on the tricopter built by David Windestål at http://rcexplorer.se/. My build used Hobby King parts. The motors were 2213N 800Kv Brushless, ESCs were Turnigy Plush 18 Amp, Props were GWS 9x5 (2 standard and 1 counter rotating) and I used the BMS-385DMAX Digital Servo for the tail servo. All flew very well with plenty of power and good response on a 2200 mAh 3S Lipo. When I added the GoPro I changed to 10x6 props for more power but it was less responsive so I went back to the 9x5. I believe you can use 3 standard props in a tricopter but you dont get the same linear yaw response. I havent tried it but David Windestål only uses standard props and it doesnt seem to bother him.

Im in the process of updating the motors to HexTronic DT750 750kv motors which are more efficient and have more torque and power for a similar current. I should have it running in a few days (if I can get the time to complete the upgrade).

I added a Heli body to mine when Im not filming which helps with the orientation. I can fly the tricopter from the ground at much greater distances than I can fly the F450 because its much easier to orientate the Tricopter from the ground.

In the picture below you can see I added an FY-20 for extra stabilization. The combination gives stability close to the Naza system and I can change to manual mode at the flick of a switch. I've since changed the FPV antenna to a cloverleaf type for better performance.

View attachment 2856

Attachments

• tricopter small.jpg
    tricopter small.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 332

Macsgrafs

I was only reading rcexplorer's tricopter builds last night, so its good to actually converse with someone who has one actually flying. The sad thing is I have just placed an order at HK for the FC board & a few other bits..I wasn't even thinking of building another MR aircraft, but now I am. Seems like I will have to get 3 motors from the UK, probably robotbirds & try the emax BL2215/20.

How do these things fly with just the FC board, is it self leveling as such or do you really need the FY20?

Thanks for a great reply & some great info.

Ross

RCNut

The KK board won't self level. It's a 3 gyro controller board that provides motor control and basic stabilization but you'll need to helicopter flying skills to fly it. It's quite stable though like a large helicopter because of the length of the arms. I added the FY-20 to reduce the load when filming but when I'm just flying around without the camera I usually switch it off.

Macsgrafs

The KK board won't self level. It's a 3 gyro controller board that provides motor control and basic stabilization but you'll need to helicopter flying skills to fly it. It's quite stable though like a large helicopter because of the length of the arms. I added the FY-20 to reduce the load when filming but when I'm just flying around without the camera I usually switch it off.

Sounds like I need a small quad instead ;) ;)

Ross

RCNut

It shouldnt matter if its a quad or a tricopter, they fly much the same. Its the controller that makes it stable. Put the same KK board on a Quad and it will fly much the same as the tricopter (although the longer arms of the tricopter slow down the response making it a little easier to fly). The only downside of the tricopter is the extra mechanics required for the yaw motor servo, but they fly beautifully.

It sounds like you need a controller with accelerometers such as the Copter Control board. If you built a Y6 tricopter you could put a DJI Naza on it.

Macsgrafs

It shouldnt matter if its a quad or a tricopter, they fly much the same. Its the controller that makes it stable. Put the same KK board on a Quad and it will fly much the same as the tricopter (although the longer arms of the tricopter slow down the response making it a little easier to fly). The only downside of the tricopter is the extra mechanics required for the yaw motor servo, but they fly beautifully.

It sounds like you need a controller with accelerometers such as the Copter Control board. If you built a Y6 tricopter you could put a DJI Naza on it.

steady....I'm on a budget for this little craft ;)

So I'll stick with the tricopter by the sounds of it, thanks again for all the info RCNut.

Ross

Macsgrafs

Right I'm putting together a Quad, can I leave all the ESC to RX cables connect to the FC board or just the one positive & disconnect the other 3?

Ross

kloner

Aerial DP
you never want more than one bec in a system, it'll fight itself till there all dead.... make on with a red wire going in and the rest unclip and fold back with a piece of heat shrink if you ever gotta recalibrate them or program them

what ever happened to rcnut?

Macsgrafs

you never want more than one bec in a system, it'll fight itself till there all dead.... make on with a red wire going in and the rest unclip and fold back with a piece of heat shrink if you ever gotta recalibrate them or program them

what ever happened to rcnut?

Thanks Kloner, that confirmed what I thought. As for rcnut...he was last on here 13 hours ago!

Ross