KK Flight Controller HK KK 2.0 board and a PIC...

shanephone87

Hey guys,

i just bought a HK KK 2.0 control board and i was wondering if i could control it with a microcontroller(PIC in my case) instead of a radio transmitter/reciever?

Its jsut a already have a couple of PIC's and i dont wont to buy a radio if i dont have too.

Cheers, Shane

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Hi Shane,

Anything is possible of course but I would think that there are other boards more suited to this.

Cheers.

Pete

Ttelmah

Yes.
You could take a GPS module, barometer sensor, and compass, attach these to a PIC, and program it to send the servo commands to the board to fly a course.
However by the time you have written the code, even if you are good, expect to have spent several hundred hours programming. You might as well just use something like an Ardupilot, cheaper than making the custom board, and a lot less work.
Unless you add sensors like this, how is the PIC going to know what to send?. On the ground with a simple 2 axis robot, you could try sending commands like 'forward for 5 seconds', 'right for five seconds', etc., but even without the complexities of wind etc., this will never give really repeatable results....
'PIC' covers a range of processors from very minor devices commonly built into things like ID cards (the sky card for example is PIC based), through things like RF tags, up to quite complex processors used in many things like nav systems. Obviously any processor task can potentially be done with a combination of these, but this will not be a cheaper solution than buying a radio. I'd estimate something like 50* the price of quite a good radio to do anything even remotely 'worthwhile'.....

Best Wishes

shanephone87

yeah im using a PIC 16f887, im not going to get into anything the complicated yet ttelmah. im just going to use the PIC to control the HK KK 2.0... turns out its pritty much the same as controlling ESC's with my PIC.

thanks for the replys, Shane