Hi Y'all

GlassKnees

I live in Georgetown, Texas and recently got into multicopter building/flying. I built two Parallax Elev-8 quads - the first was the kit using the supplied Hoverfly controller. I wanted something with more advanced flight modes, so I opted to build another Elev-8 and mate it to a 3DR APM 2.6 autopilot/controller with external GPS and magnetometer. This 2nd ship was lost in a test flight - was testing Loiter Mode and RTL - didn't work and the aircraft got away from me. I never recovered it.

So, I've decided to build another ship: A Tarot FY680 Pro. I bought the frame kit from HobbyKing and chose Tarot 4006/620 KV motors with 30 A ESCs, then later discovered some 680 Pro build videos where other motors are used, such as the Foxtech S3508 KV700 with 40 A ESCs. While searching around the net, trying to decide whether to go with what I've got or spend more $$ on other motors/ESCs, I stumbled onto this site.

I'm hoping I can tap into expertise and experience!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're off to a good start (except for the lost MR!). Way to get back on the horse!!!

I built a Tarot 680Pro using the sunnysky 3508 motors. Good setup and plenty of flight time. They're not the cheapest - but cheaper than a lot of the higher end motors. I've had good luck personally with all the sunnysky I've owned.

Fly safe keep us updated!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
As Scott said, welcome to MultiRotorForums.com. Jump right in, or don't, either way you're still welcome!

GlassKnees

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're off to a good start (except for the lost MR!). Way to get back on the horse!!!

I built a Tarot 680Pro using the sunnysky 3508 motors. Good setup and plenty of flight time. They're not the cheapest - but cheaper than a lot of the higher end motors. I've had good luck personally with all the sunnysky I've owned.

Fly safe keep us updated!

Thank you! I plan to document my build - will look into the Sunnysky motors. Did you use 30 A ESC's or go larger? Any idea of what kind of endurance times you experienced?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
IIRC, I did have 30A ESCs. If I did it again, I'd probably pad it by a bit more (maybe 40a) just to be safe.

I was flying a single 8000mah for about 12 minutes and landing with a healthy amount of battery left. I think a dual 5A setup would go for quite a while. I get tired and distracted before too long - so I'm not going for 20 minutes in the air :)