Hello from Baltimore!

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello to you fine people, your forums were one of the main reasons that I felt comfortable buying and assembling a DJI Naza F450. I have zero knowledge of electronics or soldering, however all these how-to videos and posts gave me the confidence to attempt a build. I read through almost all the DJI forum posts, and ended up watching quite a few of your YouTube videos. Thank you all for taking the time to help your peers out, as I've certainly benefited indirectly from your knowledge.

I currently have a Parrot AR Drone which got me into this sport; very quickly I was frustrated by the fly-away problem and its extremely poor performance in wind. I've gone through two outdoor and three indoor hulls, and this past Sunday it flew away and only by driving around through cornfields for an hour was I able to find it over half a mile away. I can't wait to have the real deal up and running instead of this frustrating toy. I think I'll keep it as indoor only.

I received the Flamewheel yesterday and was able to assemble most of it last night. I'm really looking forward to getting home from work today to keep working on it. Sadly I do not have a transmitter and the vendor I purchased from failed to notify me of a delay, so looks like I won't have that until the end of the week at best. Fortunately this will allow me extra time for assembly so perhaps I'll avoid some rookie mistakes. I also do not have a PC for the programming, so I'll attempt to get it to work with my Mac or Linux perhaps, though it sounds like this is not the ideal solution.

I plan on strapping an old iPhone to the Flamewheel, and will most likely upgrade to a GoPro at some point. My first step is getting this thing airborn, then we'll see. Any way, back to work for me.

Thanks to you all!

Kilby

Hey TLW... welcome to the forum! I'm in Baltimore as well. Let me know if you run into any troubles putting the 450 together. I've got a 450 and my own custom 550 as well as a few other flying beasts, so I can probably answer any questions that come up in the process.

Good luck!

-Terry

Kilby

Middle River Hobbies is probably the best in the area, though you won't find much in the way of multirotor craft there. I think they do sell the A.R. Drone, but that's about it. I've bought some controllers and a few other things there. There is also a Hobbytown that used to be in Timonium, but they moved and I haven't been to their new location.

I usually order most things online. If you are looking for anything, drop me a pm. I've got a TON of extra stuff and can always let you know where to get it if I don't have it.

-Terry