Gremsy gstabi H3

Skysmith

Drone operator
Ok, so it's definitely not coming from there.

Probably Iceman is right, it might come from the lens hood.

Hi Econfly

Have you managed to tweak your H3's settings any further since you shot your non-stabilsed video?

We've got a Gremsy H3 and we're trying to make it work with the Panasonic GH4, but we're also getting a lot of the small bounces I can see in your footage - so far we haven't been able to eliminate this.

I know we can always post-stabilise, but I don't believe we should need to do this by default (our other gimbals, M5, M10, are rock solid)

Any thoughts, or insights would be greatly appreciated?!

Adam

econfly

I had some luck with increasing the hold strength. Wind is heavy here today, but when things calm down I will shoot some more test video. What lens are you flying with your GH4? I have a GH4 and will try it out with the same lens you are using if I have one.

We've got Panasonic's 14mm Lumix pancake lens on the GH4. We've been trying so many combinations of settings, but just can't get rid of the loose/bouncy/sloppy behaviour....

econfly

Hopefully I can get to it soon. Wind is about 15 mph straight line here today with gusts up to 25 according to my weather station.

My take so far is that this (the H3) is a viable integrated gimbal solution that works. I would put the M5 in that category, of course (though I have not personally put it in the air yet). Also in that category is the DJI Zenmuse series, but this option is limited by single camera/lens choice in each gimbal offering. Going further, the latest phantoms and the Inspire are great but also have their limitations.

The Gremsy software is very easy to use. They offer nice mounting hardware solutions. And their support is very good (over on Facebook, which is not my preferred choice, but they are responsive there).

The H3 is a perfect size for flying small cameras (GH4, Sony A7, BMPCC, the Blackmagic micro if they ever release it, etc.). With the A7Rii, loxia 35mm lens, battery, etc. (all up weight) the H3 and camera/lens come in at 4 pounds 6 ounces. That excludes a few ounces for the quick release and mount on the copter, but the bottom line is that this is about as light as it gets. All-up (with 21000 mAh battery) my S1000 is almost exactly 9kg.
Wasn't aware that the S1000 is such a heavy Multirotor. What flight times do you get out of the 21000mAh batteries?
I'm flying my H3 with a X8 and a 12000mAh battery which is good for about 20 minutes of flight and the hole copter with the h3 and a GH4 is under 6 kilos.
But to get back on topic, I do really like how the h3 is performing so far. Only have a couple of flights in light wind on it though.
7a6efce6e4022f629a331c02249c1183.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture quality only had my mobile on hand to take the picture.

econfly

Wasn't aware that the S1000 is such a heavy Multirotor. What flight times do you get out of the 21000mAh batteries?
I'm flying my H3 with a X8 and a 12000mAh battery which is good for about 20 minutes of flight and the hole copter with the h3 and a GH4 is under 6 kilos.
But to get back on topic, I do really like how the h3 is performing so far. Only have a couple of flights in light wind on it though.

Nice to see another H3 out there. Good looking rig.

The S1000 is about 4.5kg unloaded. Add a 5 pound battery and 4.5 pound gimbal/camera, and my setup hits right at 9kg all up. With the 21000 mAh battery, flight time is a little over 15 minutes with some to spare.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Nice to see another H3 out there. Good looking rig.

The S1000 is about 4.5kg unloaded. Add a 5 pound battery and 4.5 pound gimbal/camera, and my setup hits right at 9kg all up. With the 21000 mAh battery, flight time is a little over 15 minutes with some to spare.

Somethings not right here. 9 kg vs 6kg with part of it being a battery, 4 fc arms and 4 motor mounts. MultirotorUser, could you re-weigh your rig.....[/QUOTE]

Somethings not right here. 9 kg vs 6kg with part of it being a battery, 4 fc arms and 4 motor mounts. MultirotorUser, could you re-weigh your rig.....
Don't have to weigh it again, my rig is exactly 5983 grams flying weight. Using a light frame which only weighs in at 334 grams and the light Mikrokopter Flight-Ctrl plus Navigation and a Double Quadro V3 cool ESC, you end up with a light rig. Although I have to admit, that I wasn't expecting the difference to the S1000 to be that big. I have been flying this rig with a different gimbal for well over a year now and have had no problems what so ever, even in very strong winds. With the S1000 on the other hand you have the ability to fold the arms which I obviously don't have with my rig, so transport should be easier with the DJI.
But lets get back to topic, this thread is about the gstabi h3 not the platforms carrying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skysmith

Drone operator
Multirotoruser, do you have the same issue than econfly and Adam? Do you have little small bounces while flying?

And what are your feeling so far on the H3? Having horizon issues or others?

No bounces to see in the footage. Horizon Holding is great while doing 360° yaw panning, haven't tested it while flying fast sideways though, which has been kind of a problem with other gimbals I've used. One thing which sure is great is the support by Gremsy, they are responding really fast and even gave me the settings they used for the h3 carrying the GH4. For all of you having problems I recommend contacting them.

Hi Multirotoruser

What kind of dampeners are you using on your rig? We've been going mad trying to make the GH4 stable on H3, but no luck. Gremsy support has been very responsive, as you say, but non of their suggestions have worked so far. We're a bit concerned that this small bumpy footage might be "as good as it gets"

Do you have a short clip you could share (without post stabilisation)?

Adam

Hi Multirotoruser

What kind of dampeners are you using on your rig? We've been going mad trying to make the GH4 stable on H3, but no luck. Gremsy support has been very responsive, as you say, but non of their suggestions have worked so far. We're a bit concerned that this small bumpy footage might be "as good as it gets"

Do you have a short clip you could share (without post stabilisation)?

Adam
I'm using the damper system of an old dragon gimbal. You can see the gimbal here:
www.rosewhite.de/en/dragon
I just added four more gel dampers and it works flawlessly at cutting all the vibrations out.
I'm not at home at the moment, but should be able to upload a short clip next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

Not a good day. Tried a couple of test flights with the GH4. My preferred HDMI cable didn't quite fit between the GH4 and the gimbal frame, and with a little extra pressure I managed to screw up my GH4's micro HDMI port. I really hate micro HDMI ports. Worst video connecter ever designed.

Anyway, in testing I can't completely dial out the little wobbles. For some reason they seem worse with the GH4 (maybe it's the lighter weight vs. the Sony A7Rii -- no idea). The good news is that the footage is easily fixed with stabilization. These flaws are not high frequency or jello like, so I don't think the issue is dampening.

I thought maybe the auto power adjustment feature on the H3 was the issue, but I turned it off and entered manual hold values and that didn't seem to improve things. I have had luck with turning up the gain setting and then re-tuning. That has not been a complete fix, but it is better for me than the standard gain setting.

Bad luck with the HDMI port. They're really annoying and very little space on the H3. We couldn't fit a normal right angle flexible hdmi in there so have had to order a special flat cable from aerialpixels.

Shame you couldn't remove wobbles. What do you consider 'standard' settings? When we increase stiffness we soon get the fast vibrations in the arms. We then ease off the stiffness a little until they go away (as with any gimbal) but we still get wobble... Gremsy suggested increasing output and gyro filters, to allow for higher stiffness settings, but that hasn't worked either....

Very frustrating.

econfly

The good news is my GH4's port turns out to be OK. I don't know what was going on, I couldn't get anything but noise out of it yesterday. Cable checks out, port checks out, Lightbridge 2 is working, so I guess all is well. Maybe the thing I didn't do yesterday was power cycle everything once I had the problem.

So for tuning, I upped the gain (config->expert) to 145. Then I tuned the stiffness settings as best I could (35, 60, 110 for my GH4 and 12mm Oly lens). I have not done anything with the gyro/filter settings.

I hope Gremsy deals with this in firmware updates. I know it isn't vibes (these wobbles are very low frequency). Honestly, I'm pretty fine with things as they are right now. I almost always post stabilize anyway. The gimbal is very convenient to use, and the occasional wobbles are easily cured with a little post stabilization. I see this a bit like horizon drift. Wish it were not there, but I can deal with it. I'm just going to use this thing and enjoy it. I know I can get good footage, and I don't have a problem I can't fix in post.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Glad to hear the port was ok. That would have been a real hassle of not.

Gremsy seem pretty proactive about updates, and also open to feedback. Hopefully they take your suggestions into consideration.

Thanks for sharing all this info!

econfly

Overall the H3 is a very nice little gimbal. And for my preferences, the "overall" part is key. Great software, very easy tool-free adjustment on all axes, great performance to weight, and just the right size for the smaller cameras I like to use. It could be better, but it's absolutely useful now.