Grapevine, TX

skipper1

I thought I had posted this yesterday, I guess not. This is from Grapevine, TX, in the historic district. It has that small town America feel to it.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Heh, you could aaaaaalmost see where I used to live. You were standing in my old neighborhood when you shot the silo.

I'm surprised you got away with that, Grapevine cops aren't known for being the most easygoing!

skipper1

When I film projects like this, I will go in early as the sun is coming up and shift change with the police. I did see about 4 police cars go by but no problems.

Xanadu79

Please don't take this the wrong way but I feel like I should say something. The exact location you're flying in is not only inside 5 miles of DFW airport but it's also due north of several of the runways. This part of Grapevine is dead smack in the middle of the the landing flight path. Please be a little more careful about where you fly not only for your own sake but for the safety of others.

https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/?embed=true#5/38.651/-96.504

-Landon

skipper1

Landon, thanks so much for being the excellent police monitor that you are. While I was flying around in Grapevine under 100 feet, I never once saw a plane even close to downtown main street. Grapevine is pretty close to the landing flight path but not smack dab in the middle of it. You are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill and I think you've stepped out of bounds on this. Not only were there no planes close by, there were no people close by so don't tell me to be more careful.

Xanadu79

I can't say I didn't see this response coming.

I was not attacking you, I was merely pointing out your distance from DFW airport. The "molehill" you're referring to is the FAA's LAW regarding flight near airports. If me pointing out the law puts me out of bounds here then I'm not sure we'll see eye to eye on this.

I think it's important that we as multirotor hobbyists and commercial operators do some sort of self policing before it gets pointed out by someone outside our little world.

I'm not making these rules up to start a flame war with you.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-recreational-users/

Happy Flying!

Xanadu79

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 256

skipper1

I can't say I didn't see this response coming.

I was not attacking you, I was merely pointing out your distance from DFW airport. The "molehill" you're referring to is the FAA's LAW regarding flight near airports. If me pointing out the law puts me out of bounds here then I'm not sure we'll see eye to eye on this.

I think it's important that we as multirotor hobbyists and commercial operators do some sort of self policing before it gets pointed out by someone outside our little world.

I'm not making these rules up to start a flame war with you.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-recreational-users/

Happy Flying!

I see by the number of posts you've made you have decided to appoint yourself the forum cop. I know the rules, I'm careful and you can tell how high I flew from the video. You're just out to prove to the forum how knowledgeable you are.
You mentioned "self policing", who needs to do self policing when we have you being the forum cop. Do as your mama taught you. If you don't have something good to say, don't say anything.

dazzab

Lovely video. Almost looks like a movie set. I'd never get away with it where I live as the Police are actively stopping people who attempt to fly in controlled airspace. You can get a permit but it's a long process and the fee is expensive.

skipper1

Lovely video. Almost looks like a movie set. I'd never get away with it where I live as the Police are actively stopping people who attempt to fly in controlled airspace. You can get a permit but it's a long process and the fee is expensive.

I think if you conduct yourself in a nice manner and act responsible, you're OK. On a different forum a different forum cop attacked me for this video. What he couldn't see was the bicycle cop standing beside me that was taken in by the quad copter. He couldn't get enough of it.