Hoverfly GPS success with ext. Mag

ed.ge

Hello there

Just wanted to make it public, since positive things need to be shared aswell!

For more than a year now I was never satisfied enough to use GPS for actual shoots with my equipment. More than once it would have been handy and only because of unbelievable luck I got my setup back once :) I was over 500metres out and hit the right direction per instinct...finally, the wait is over!

Today I got my external mag, the weather was fine, so I took a chance:

Latest firmware, external Mag, X4 Setup

- Setup utility displays external mag heading now live (thumbs up)

- Autoleveling works after trimming (just to make sure, the latest procedure is to trim, land with auto level on, disarm, unplug, replug, leave trims at all times for this model and don't set to 0 again?)
Seems so! My x4 hovers in front of me for more than a minute like it's on GPS hold.

- GPS hold
In fact it is not as stable as Autolevel in no-wind conditions :p But it works in a roughly 10m radius. This is OK!

- RTH
Works also in a 10-20m radius, which is plenty enough for me. As long as it comes back!

Minor drawback for Hold/RTH. Sometimes it gets twitchy for a few seconds on its own, then it settles again. Nothing major, but it "looks" like it doesnt know what to do for a few seconds. Stays in place though.

- AH
Works. +- 2 metres. Good enough for me. Depending on gain

- Voltage
Finally!! This is so useful in cold temperatures and when you just dont know if that lipo was already used or not :)

- Normal flight
Smooth as silk - as ever - and that's more than 90% for my work!

-- suggestion:
Home-arrow for the OSD. Comes in really handy when losing eyesight.

A great present for me this christmas. Thank you!

Have nice holidays you guys!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I got 10-20m without the ext. mag no problem. I just found that to be a HUGE radius compared to my previous DJI stuff. I think its only good for RTH in an emergency, other than that, holding a 10m+ circle doesnt really do a lot of good for much. But I guess there must be an iron filing that got laid up in my carbon fiber somewhere. ;)

How long did it take for your gps signal to initialize?

I'm curious what your experience will be Ben.