Giving Up on WKM

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I just took my Droidworx Octo HL for another test flight and crashed for the 3rd time in as many test flights - broke two arms and misc components. I can't afford to repair it again. I have spent months rebuilding from the ground up after the last crash, recalibrated and programmed the Maytech ESCs, saught advise through this forum, and redid all the wiring and power distribution harness. To no avail. It was barely controllable and twitched bad in attitude mode, I opened the gain channel and experimented with that on the fly but it didn't make a difference. Once I switched to manual mode it was totally uncontrollable - and crashed. done and done. Not sure what I will do at this point. Even though the WKM was won in a contest on this site I still had a lot of money tied up in this ship (Axi motors, Droidworx frame, etc.) . I will probably try to reconstruct on a wooden platform and move to Hoverfly (already have a ship using that reliably).. but I can no longer trust WKM with an expensive frame and electronics. I know most folks have had good experiences with WKM but my experiencer has not been good.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a similar sort of issue/feelings on my quad... I too have a ad6 on wkm and axi motors, i had crashed cuz i didnt put my escs on nimh, they were on lipo and one would shut down early, as far as twitching goes my naza was a *****, and still is but i found different escs helped.... I can relate to the broke to build game as i shouldnt have afforded my hexa in the first place lol, try different escs just for a laugh, its alot of work but it could b the game changer.... Good luck man wkm at least on my craft is really awesome

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
EEEK! I have manual disabled.. WHY try and fly in manual unless you are Worthox with such a craft?

I have three WKM's a quad and two Y6 standard and heavy lift.. I have also built and with Geoff from QC.co.uk helped build tune every configuration possible to perfection with out any real problems. Its the most reliable and stable FC out there. Can you post more info on your build and set up.

Dave

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I am getting very close to selling my WKM setup as well. I like the changes that the new firmware is suggesting, but like everyone, I am too scared to even try it. It's like we are all looking over the edge of a clif and waiting for the first guy to jump. I will say that after getting a little more used to the hoverfly and then going back to the wookong, I was amazed at how smoothly the WKM flies in comparison. It is much more soft and fluid like where the Hoverfly, as it is adjusted now, is very sensitive and snappy. This may be good for a windier day but the wookong on a calm day is hard to beat. I think a lot of it is feel though and if you get used to one thing, flygin another is weird. And it's for that very reason i want to ditch the wkm. You can get yourself in trouble trying to remember too many switches and buttons. I just want one simple system that flies smoothly in autolevel. i dont need GPS altitude hold or any other crap. Some of it definitely sounds cool but its mroe to go wrong in my book. Simple is better. And Hoverfly is definitely simple.

Dewster

I like the WKM. It flies so effortlessly. Plus I like the simple set up that they have. I did consider the Hoverfly before I saw a video of a craft using WKM. I like that it has a built in OSD.

Yes...I have a ton of switches on my radio. I like having different flight modes on a radio vs. having the configure a flight mode from a laptop. GPS hold has been rock solid for me. I tried the new return to home feature switch and loved it (even though I was holding my breath). DJI has made building and flying a craft easy.

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
I am new to WHM, but am VERY impressed with it so far. I fly a HEXA frame with all DJI electronics. ESC, Motors, WKM. It just works. I considered different ESC & motors, but decided that staying with all DJI was bulletproof and so far I am correct. High winds make it a bit jumpy, but I have never crashed. I just added Link & Waypoints and will be testing that soon. All is loaded, but I so enjoy flying with the TX that I just haven't made time to test the PC Groundstation even though all is loaded & functioning. I tried another FC Mfg. before going WKM and had nothing positive about the expenience. so far WKM is awesome.

Andrew