Gains, how high is too high?

Bison52

I went out this evening and tried to work on gains. Moderate gusty winds, not too bad for West Texas.

Stock F550. Two Hyperion 3s mounted on top plate. GoPro near front on bottom plate. COG including is surprisingly close to middle of Naza including z - axis. Balanced DJI 10" props.

Anyway, pitch axis only on aux1/x1. Kept turning it up and it just seemed to fly better. When I went back in and plugged it into assistant, gain on pitch was about 210 and that was just because I ran out if room on the knob

Dialed it in and set the roll to the knob and had almost the same result.

So, are gains over 200 for pitch and roll totally out of line? It sure seemed to fly well in my front yard but that seems like a lot.

Mike

i had mine at 180 - 200 for awhile in a light wind and reeled it back to 160 ish in calm weather.... depends on the firmware aswell eh. Different version different gains. Ive seen some guys have some 300 on pitch n roll on older firmware

Bison52

I should have indicated this was basic gains. Running latest firmware. It just seems high but whatever works I guess.

irvan36mm

I've been reading this thread & have a question on the gains.
In the NAZA Assistant software, is the Basic gains adjustment for Manual mode only and
the Attitude gains adjustment for Atti mode only?
Or are they for both Manual & Atti?

Bison52

No, when I first started trying to setup my Naza, that was what I thought too

Simply put, basic gains set how quickly and strongly the copter reacts to inputs from the flight controller. Attitude gains govern how the copter reacts to inputs from the sticks.

Think of it this way. Let's say you've got the pitch control (stick) pushed forward and are flying forward. You move the stick aft to transition to a hovering flight. Attitude gains determine how quickly the craft responds to that stick move aft. Very high attitude gains could result in the craft overreacting and then you try to correct again and wind up overcorrecting. It will seem like you're flying "behind" the craft and always chasing trying to keep control.

But then once you've got the stick centered, which is telling the flight controller to hover, it is reading inputs from the gyro and barometer trying to determine if it is in a stable hover. This is where basic gains are governing what is happening. Overly high basic gains here will cause the craft to overreact to those inputs from the "instruments" the flight controller is reading, resulting in severe twitching or wobbling.

I hope this makes sense. Gains seems to be one of the hardest things to get a handle on when you're starting out.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

yakjock

No, when I first started trying to setup my Naza, that was what I thought too

Simply put, basic gains set how quickly and strongly the copter reacts to inputs from the flight controller. Attitude gains govern how the copter reacts to inputs from the sticks.

Think of it this way. Let's say you've got the pitch control (stick) pushed forward and are flying forward. You move the stick aft to transition to a hovering flight. Attitude gains determine how quickly the craft responds to that stick move aft. Very high attitude gains could result in the craft overreacting and then you try to correct again and wind up overcorrecting. It will seem like you're flying "behind" the craft and always chasing trying to keep control.

But then once you've got the stick centered, which is telling the flight controller to hover, it is reading inputs from the gyro and barometer trying to determine if it is in a stable hover. This is where basic gains are governing what is happening. Overly high basic gains here will cause the craft to overreact to those inputs from the "instruments" the flight controller is reading, resulting in severe twitching or wobbling.

I hope this makes sense. Gains seems to be one of the hardest things to get a handle on when you're starting out.

Mike

Nice explanation thats helped me too thanks.