Futaba 8 FG or Spektrum DX 8 or Graupner MX 20?

cruiser

Hello everyone. Question from a newbie. Am just getting into MRCs and bought myself a DJI F550 and Naza FC. Haven't built it yet. Would love to get into bigger MRCs (heavy lift ones) later on for AP. Have read a few negative reports about the DX 8, but it seems to be very popular. The MX 20 is German, has to be good. Which one of these TXs would be the best choice? The Futaba's S-bus, is it a big deal other than simpler connection to the FC? Does telemetry (not on this Futaba model) on the TX really important even if you use a netbook for all the data (am not sure if this is the right term)? Thanks in advance guys.

plingboot

I don't think you go wrong with any of them.

I've had both the DX8 and the MX-20. I don't have the MX-20 any more… and use the DX8 for everything.

I think the graupner kit is a very good radio, but i much prefer the DX8 size, looks, build and menu.

The MX 20 menus offer a huge amount of settings, but i found it very unintuitive and wasn't a huge fan of the touch dials.

If i were buying all over again today, i'd seriously consider a futaba radio - but maybe something a little further up the range.

Reasons for this would be s-bus and the fact that the futaba radios more readily support the connection/use of a UHF system and head tracking.

I'd definitely get your hands on all three radios as you'll immediately know which you prefer.

cruiser

Thanks plingboot. Was just checking the Futabas, even the higher specced ones don't have telemetry. Is this a big deal?

plingboot

i thought i'd use telemetry when i bough both radios, but in truth i didn't.

i use a lipo monitor (display and siren) on the balance lead and that's about the top and tail of what i've needed line of sight.

telemetry is more important for fpv, but then an OSD (ezOSD is my choice) does that job showing anything and everything required.

Efliernz

Pete
Don't discount the Futaba 10C. I know it has been around for 18-24 months but I have one and it rocks - it replaced a JR DSX9.

The gives the usual aray of switches and 3 pots in the centre but the big win was a slider on each side. I use the slider to tilt the mount when shooting solo. Channel 5-10 is configuaratable (easily) to any switch or pot.

I looked at telemetry systems too but I settled on a Quanum 2.4. Cells monitoring, current usage and beeps on individual cell voltages for $50. Brilliant.

Pete

cruiser

Thanks pling, Pete, mailman. Will look into the Futaba 10cg, and either a Quanum or similar for telemetry.

WillM

I bought the Spektrum from a recommendation and hadn't looked at many other 6+ channel radio. Back when I used to build & race r/c cars, I always bought Futaba.

I bought a Spektrum DX8 which came with a telemetry module. I never thought I'd use it, but I do, and I love it. Other than battery voltage, the #1 thing I monitor is altitude. I don't think the Quanum can monitor anything other than voltage, but I could be wrong. It is awesome to have the quad so far away or perhaps so high up and be able to verify the current altitude and whether the quad is climbing or descending.

So all else being equal, I'd prefer to have a radio that has more than basic telemetry options. I was skeptical of the DX8, but it has yet to let me down.

cruiser

I bought the Spektrum from a recommendation and hadn't looked at many other 6+ channel radio. Back when I used to build & race r/c cars, I always bought Futaba.

I bought a Spektrum DX8 which came with a telemetry module. I never thought I'd use it, but I do, and I love it. Other than battery voltage, the #1 thing I monitor is altitude. I don't think the Quanum can monitor anything other than voltage, but I could be wrong. It is awesome to have the quad so far away or perhaps so high up and be able to verify the current altitude and whether the quad is climbing or descending.

So all else being equal, I'd prefer to have a radio that has more than basic telemetry options. I was skeptical of the DX8, but it has yet to let me down.

Thanks WillM.The DX 8 seems to be the most popular here in Singapore. Will try it out too.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi there

loads to think about when choosing a new radio

a couple of points to consider with the 2 futaba radios mentioned

8fg and 8fg super come with 14 channels out the box with latest software installed loads of switches and channels fully reconfigurable but locked to 2.4ghz for control

10c will do almost as much in some cases more as it has interchangable modules so not locked to 2.4ghz for control which inturn would give you wider range when selecting different freq for use with fpv gear etc

just another thing to think about if you decide to go for a futaba radio have a look on the futaba site and you can compare specs etc

good luck with what ever radio you decide on

buying a new radio is like taking the wife to buy some new shoes decisions decisions and more than most ends up with at least two pairs

again good luck keith

cruiser

hi there

loads to think about when choosing a new radio

a couple of points to consider with the 2 futaba radios mentioned

8fg and 8fg super come with 14 channels out the box with latest software installed loads of switches and channels fully reconfigurable but locked to 2.4ghz for control

10c will do almost as much in some cases more as it has interchangable modules so not locked to 2.4ghz for control which inturn would give you wider range when selecting different freq for use with fpv gear etc

just another thing to think about if you decide to go for a futaba radio have a look on the futaba site and you can compare specs etc

good luck with what ever radio you decide on

buying a new radio is like taking the wife to buy some new shoes decisions decisions and more than most ends up with at least two pairs

again good luck keith
Thanks for the input Keith. Wow! There are a LOT of things to consider!

Arxangel

I have a Graupner MX-12, it is basically the same as the MX-20 but with less switches and less channels, only 6. I have to say I am pretty sure I will never buy another brand. It is simply amazing, and I do not agree with some people that the menu is unintuitive because I managed to do a lot without looking at the manual. Another good thing is that everything I think I need I find out the radio can do. Later on I will get the MX-20 for my octo, for now the MX-12 is sufficient. :)

diverdan

I have the Futaba 8FG super, and i have it working well with my wookong. Took me a while to sort out a few glitches.

cruiser

After researching for a few weeks, looks like I'll be going with the Futaba 8FG Super. Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

cruiser

Actually, might even go for the Hitec Aurora 9. Seems to be great for that price. Any A9 users care to comment please? It's got 9 ch as against T8FG's 14. But 9 should be good enough for AP right? 9 ch renough for camera pan n tilt?
Thanks in advance guys:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cruiser

Finally, after researching long and hard, I bought the Aurora 9. Haven't programmed it yet though. I've got a good feeling about this TX. Can't wait to get started on my first quad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD