FPV with GoPro

rwilabee

Can a GoPro be used for FPV. I was told that the output is slow so it lags behind what it really happening. Also is the lens ok for FPV.

Thanks
Rich

Tahoe Ed

Rich:

I use mine for FPV. I set the GoPro to 1080p, R5 which narrows the FOV. The biggest problem is in low light, it doesn't do well. Try it you just need a cable between the GoPro Video out to your vTx and they are cheap. I do not use a separate battery for the GoPro as I have found its battery is sufficient for a days worth of flying.

Macsgrafs

I second what Ed has stated, they can quite efficently be used for FPV. Drill the platic protective case so that you can plug a lead into the BOTTOM connector of the GoPro. A replacemtn case is cheaper than the pre-drilled case.

Ross

rwilabee

I don't use a case with mine. I have it strapped to the camera gimble. Other than protection is there an advantage to using the case.

Thanks

Rich[

QUOTE=Macsgrafs;13961]I second what Ed has stated, they can quite efficently be used for FPV. Drill the platic protective case so that you can plug a lead into the BOTTOM connector of the GoPro. A replacemtn case is cheaper than the pre-drilled case.

Ross[/QUOTE]

Dixter

Rich:

I use mine for FPV. I set the GoPro to 1080p, R5 which narrows the FOV. The biggest problem is in low light, it doesn't do well. Try it you just need a cable between the GoPro Video out to your vTx and they are cheap. I do not use a separate battery for the GoPro as I have found its battery is sufficient for a days worth of flying.

ED, what Vtx and Rtx do you recommend.... and source???

thanks

Macsgrafs

ED, what Vtx and Rtx do you recommend.... and source???

thanks

Dixter, search youtube for FPV, see what floats your boat. There are so many different FPV setups...its almost impossible to suggest what you would need.

Regards
Ross

Kilby

I don't use a case with mine. I have it strapped to the camera gimble. Other than protection is there an advantage to using the case.

I would not recommend using it in a gimbal if you are also using it for FPV. The view that is sent back to you will always be leveled out and it will be much more difficult to fly since you won't have a real feeling for what the copter is doing. Another downfall for using your GoPro for FPV is that you can only capture video while doing so, no stills. The live output will pause every time it snaps a still rendering it useless for FPV.

Personally, I set mine up so that I have the GoPro as well as a dedicated FPV camera. The FPV cam is small and lightweight, plus it only cost about $70. I have it attached to a remote switch so I can toggle back and forth between the cameras on the live stream. Usually, I will fly into position using the FPV camera, then switch over the the GoPro so I can see what shots are being framed. I'll then switch back to FPV camera for any additional flying I need to do.

You can find a video switch as well as FPV camera's at www.nghobbies.com for about $100 total. Probably the best $100 I have spent on my copter tbh.

Dixter

Thanx, I guess ?? I know what to get, I was just wondering what you guys are using.... If I was asking a general question I'd just ask the experts... " Team Black Sheep "

Later

Tahoe Ed

Dixter:

Right now I am using an Immersion 600mW 5.8gHz transmitter. You can get one here: http://www.futurehobbies.com/produc...hz-transmitter-&-receivers/600mw-transmitter-[5-8ghz] I just purchased these antennas to help boost my range. http://videoaerialsystems.com/products/blubeam-antenna-systems/blubeam-whip-antenna-set/ I have a EagleTrees OSD Pro, eLogger and EagleEyes FPV Station. I have a 5.8gHz Patch antenna and a 2.4gHz Patch antenna for my Xbee data mounted to a pan/tilt mount with tracking via EagleTrees. I run two no name 5.8gHz receivers, one with the Patch and one with an omni antenna. The omni will be replaced with the Blubeam when I get them. I have data in from my MK through the Xbee to my netbook. I have two sets of FPV glasses, one is a Visux 920 Wrap and I also have a HeadPlay. I like the lightness of the Visux and the isolation of the HeadPlay. There are new glasses coming out with OLED displays what will be the future. You can google that. Right now they are not available and when they are they will be out of my price range. I hope this is what you were looking for and is of help to you.

Ed

Dixter

Ed, Thanks for the reply... looks like you have some nice equipment there... I think your refering to the Zeiss Cinemizer OLED... lots and lots of people waiting on those... I plan on getting a couple sets myself when they show... you can order the Sony OLED now but those aren't for FPV, but they do get good reviews for the movie buffs.. so the OLED will be the way to go... I'd like to find a FPV setup thats 16x9 and 720 to match the Cinemizers...