FPV flying a quad, Basic Gimble questions- Viewing through camera on a gimbal?

Cswann821

Hi everyone, I am currently Building a Next Level 650 with the DJ NAZA M V2 w/gps. It's actually built but I am just waiting for a new Futaba receiver with S-bus to start flying. None the less, I am already piecing out my gear to get into FPV. I have my Ground station pelican case, Monitor, and am choosing my Video RX,TX. As for the camera, I've decided to buy the PZ02420 and the CMQ1993X from securitycam2000. I am also thinking of getting a gimbal to mount one of these cameras to my quad, Specifically this brushless motored RCTIMER 2-Axis gimbal . My first question is, Can someone assure me that this gimbal is compatible with the DJ NAZA FC-Gimbal system, and that I do not need to buy the Gimbals control board(sold separately) or a different PT/gimbal. My next question is, after seeing how gimbals work to keep the cameral centered at all times, doesn't this make knowing the orientation of your quad/multi rotor during flight hard to know? Wouldn't it be an issue not know how "nose in" or "nose back" your quad is when your video view is always stable and straight? I am assuming that during FPS flight the camera on the gimbal is the camera you are watching on the video feed. So I guess what I really want to know is if during FPS flight, this isn't a problem or is it that most are using two cameras, one to "fly" by and another camera on the gimbal only used to record video??? If this is the case, Then perhaps I don't need a gimbal at the moment, since I am not planning to record flights just yet. Maybe I'd just want a Pan and Tilt with head tracking? Does head tracking mess with orientation on a Multirotor? FINALLY, If and when I do get into recording flights, and 2 cameras are used, one for flight and one to record.... this mean each camera needs its own TX, if so will I need separate two separate RX systems on my ground station one that sends the signal to my flying/view LCD, and one to say a DVR such as the DV02 that foxtech sells? What is the best/easiest way of routing two video signals in this situation? Is my thinking straight here?-----------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks, Chris. P.S for some reason my keyboard enter button doesn't work on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:

My first question is, Can someone assure me that this gimbal is compatible with the DJ NAZA FC-Gimbal system - NO it is not, naza operates servos'

I do not need to buy the Gimbals control board - YES you do

The FPV camera is normally not mounted on the gimbal for that very reason.

during FPS flight the camera on the gimbal is the camera you are watching on the video feed - NO not normally.

one to "fly" by and another camera on the gimbal only used to record video??? - YES

Does head tracking mess with orientation on a Multirotor? - Not sure what you mean normally the camera moves with head tracking so you have a wider range of view.

Only the FPV camera video is sent to your ground station in standard def. Your recording camera would be High Def. and would record video to an SD card or such.

Regards - bruce
PS please do some research.

Chris, I don't know what real benefit you will get with having a two camera setup on a quad with a two axis gimbal. Typically a two camera setup is more for when you have a two person setup and a three axis gimbal. That way your FPV camera is for the pilot so he knows where he is flying, and the gimbal camera is controlled by a separate operator and doing full 360 control of that camera. And, yes, under that setup you would want two Tx/Rx combos since you are each viewing different imagery.
With a two axis gimbal you are really only controlling up/down tilt, and if you are looking at the FPV for flying, you don't know if your recording camera is pointing correctly (ie tilted properly) for your shot.

PS the keyboard thing is a weird thing with this forum... Above the text entry field you have to press the top/left button to turn on full text edit capability which allows you to enter a carriage return and start a paragraph.

Cswann821

That makes more sense . So ok, I better stick with one camera for now. I don't plan on havering a co pilot unless my son wants in. But id'd expect he would want to fly instead . Well this way is cheaper all around! The gimble or axis system seems better suited for a plane with only one person controlling as well .

thanks for the responses!