FPV and Radio Gear

rwilabee

I'm just wondering what kind of RC radio gear you are running and what type of range you get from the RC radio. Also what freq FPV gear you are using. I have heard that the spektrum doesn't get as good a range so thought I would see what you have to say.

Thanks
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Rich,

For long distance RC you will need HF gear, thats 35MHz. Then you are completly left with any type of FPV gear you want to buy...900MHz/1.3GHz/2.4GHz or 5.8GHz, but dont forget most of these are illegal in most countries :dejection:

rwilabee

I'm not sure what long distance equals for the RC gear. But I would like to fly around our community which is about a mile in each direction.

Rich

There are alot of factors to consider when doing FPV. The first thing you want to remember, is don't go overboard and spend more than you want to lose. Atmospheric conditions change, and radio wave propagation changes along with it. Signal quality changes day to day. Start off small, and extend your range from there. I personally have a 500mw 900mhz video tx, and have been up to 5000 ft with no loss in video quality. I was, however, using a 72 mhz RC TX. 2.4 is a little sketchy on the range, and I have had days where I could fly out to 3000 ft, and days where I could fly out to less than that. Do some research, and look at the different combos that people are using. I would highly recommend buying something from a USA dealer in the event that you have an issue with the TX or RX. On a side note, I have a Diversity setup and my quad is fitted with the 500mw system and a Spektrum park flyer receiver, and I regularly fly to over 1000 ft. This is with a Park Flyer type receiver. i have the video Transmitter fitted with a Low-Pass filter though to avoid problems with the 2.4 RX