Foxtech retracts (help!)

Hi guys,

I have two pairs of these Foxtech retracts,
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-pivot-v2-auto-landing-gear2pcs-p-1703.html

I have had some issues with them which I was hoping to get solved or at least get some feedback from you guys :)

I both use them on a fairly large quad as well as on a X8 heavy lifter. The ones on the quad has always had some issues.. They don't want to retract both at once. Just the other leg wants retract while the other one doesn't even move.. So I normally need to flick the switch a few times until it finally happens. But in some other flights they both retract at the same time and no issues. Fortunately they both always fold back down again. But recently this started to happen to the X8 as well and then it did not fold down at first try.. Here is a video of the issue:

Looking forward to hear your thoughts :)

Skysmith

Drone operator
I had the exact same problem on my heavy lifter. It took me a lot of tweaking to find an exact position where there didn't block.
The only difference is that it was only happening when I wanted to lower them and not to raise them.

F

fengshuidrone

Sounds like a wiring issue. Intermittent contact. Check all of your connectors. Better yet if it is a connection issue, solder everything.
I think at that price ($159.95) you should get a replacement set with only a complaint about their lack of proper operation. Have you contacted the dealer or manufacturer?

Skysmith

Drone operator
It isn't a wiring issue, the motor aren't synchronized meaning that one leg start moving before the other creating a resistance who cause the controller to stop the movement to avoid damage.

The manufacturer isn't helping at all. This is what they replied :
Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Oh, I see. So on leg can work well, another cannot move down, right?
The problem can be solved.
Please increase the distance of the 2 tubes at the bottom, adjust the distance to a suitable place, then it landing gear will work.
Please kindly have a try, if it still have problem, please email me. :)

F

fengshuidrone

It isn't a wiring issue, the motor aren't synchronized meaning that one leg start moving before the other creating a resistance who cause the controller to stop the movement to avoid damage.

The manufacturer isn't helping at all. This is what they replied :
Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Oh, I see. So on leg can work well, another cannot move down, right?
The problem can be solved.
Please increase the distance of the 2 tubes at the bottom, adjust the distance to a suitable place, then it landing gear will work.
Please kindly have a try, if it still have problem, please email me. :)
Dood asked for my thoughts. That was them. BTW, I can't understand why anyone would pay that much for something they could make themselves for way less that wouldn't even need synchronization. Buy two of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Degree_Retract_for_Large_Models_10_12kg_.html for $29.00 each comes with a splitter cable too I think. If you sit there and stare at them for a while HK will offer you five bucks off on a pop up. Order two at the pop up price. You just saved your S&H. Find a clever way to mount them. Then go on ebay and get this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...859707?hash=item2ca2bd0d3b:g:jPYAAOSweW5VPl2X You can mix and match tube sizes and suppliers until you get the deal and tube you need. Find someone to supply you with the 90 degree tube clamp where the tubes meet http://www.himodel.com/multi_rotors...int_Landing_Gear_Clamps_1610_Golden_2pcs.html . Plug into the gear channel. Buy enough of these parts to make two sets and sell one to your buddy for $159.95. Your landing gear is free (and it doesn't need synchronized to work.) The ones I mentioned can handle up to 12 Kg . I have smaller ones I built on my quad and they always go up and down together using a simple splitter (except that one time when I had them plugged into a second receiver and it's antenna came off.) Thanks.

Last edited:

Old Man

The solution is the much less expensive and very reliable Tarot retracts if you don't make your own. A single leg hang up is a great reason to keep fixed gear if you use a gimbal.

I had the exact same problem on my heavy lifter. It took me a lot of tweaking to find an exact position where there didn't block.
The only difference is that it was only happening when I wanted to lower them and not to raise them.

And did you get them to work again as they should?

Ti@goo

I also have the Foxtech pivot landing gear, and they wobble a lot, and that is making the image to shake.

So, I`m looking for servos to replace the ones I have and use with the rest of the hardware that came with the pivot landing gear.

The one from Hobbyking are great but are in Backorder no EU warehouse. Do you have any suggestion?

Appreciate the help

Skysmith

Drone operator
And did you get them to work again as they should?

Yes they are working fine now but if I move anything on them I'm probably gonna be good another day of tweeking to make them work again.

It would be nice if someone could release a good retract for multi over 20kg. There is some solutions but they are quite expensive and not sure they work well.