Flying in a cave. Radio Issues?

Billigan

Would there be any issues with radio frequency flying inside of a cave? I have been asked to get some footage flying inside a cave with a waterfall. I know GPS won't work just wonted to make sure that my DX8 and AR8000 would not have any problems.
thanks.
Bill

DJI F550
Naza M V2 GPS
DJI AVL58 downlink
H3-2D GoPro 3+ Black
AeroXcraft LG

SoCal Blur

That would depend on the shape of the cave and what the rock is made of. Depending on what minerals are in the rock it could either reflect the radio signals or absorb them. The best way to find out is to do a test run a few days before if possible.

Billigan

I have flown up close to waterfalls before. That part does not bother me as much as a brown out. Or patchy reception due to radio signals being bounced around inside the cave. I believe that the cave is mostly limestone. Ceiling is about 80 feet and room is roughly 225' X 150' there are smooth pathways for takeoff and landings. Cave is lighted very well.
BTW the waterfall is not that big. Water flow is about 2" wide and maybe 10" deep. It falls from the top into a small pool at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billigan

Thank you all for you feedback. I will range test and do a few short flights in a area before we go into the room with the falls. the shot requires me to fly less than 120 ft from me so it's not a long distance between the RX and TX. I will let you know how it turned out. The shoot is Wednesday morning. I will post video ASAP.
thanks,
Bill

Billigan

Attachments

• IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 353

jbrumberg

Pretty awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. I would have thought signal multiplexing would have made flight control interesting.

I like the "Married with Helicopters" in your signature as well. Some wives exhibit and amazing capacity for understanding and patience.