First test flight with Zenmuse and S800

HEX junky

This is my finished S800 with Zenmuse. flying weight is 7.1kg (complete with Waypoint, nav lights, etc). I have done the required re-work and this thing is awesome. It is soooo stable.

This is the first test flight with the Zenmuse....unbelievable how stable this is, there is no post processing..straight from the camera. At about 8 minutes into the video I start shaking the S800, you can see how stable this setup is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vEbtt3DAw&feature=youtu.be

View attachment 5012

Attachments

• S800_1.jpg
    S800_1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 362

rsun

2 seconds in the movie and I did think that I have seen that flying field before.... 10 more seconds I did remember it.... 5 min before I just completed a order to VARIO with Linda...... Funny...

Nice flying by the way...

HEX junky

I have "personally" done the required re-work to the ESCs and they run cool. Before the re-work I machined some heat sinks which you can see in the photo...attached to the underside of the ESCs. These are not required, however, i can't remove them because they are attached using thermal epoxy :-(

HEX junky

As per the DJI service bulletin. Remove 6x surface mount resistors and solder jumper wires in their place. The resistors are very (very) small, this is not for the faint hearted. If you are not good at PCB soldering or have the correct soldering iron, then DJI or service centre should carry out the work.

gregs

Trying again...

Hex Junky, in the picture, what do you have mounted on the rear of your S800? Rudder? Stabilizer? Purpose? Got another shot of that?

HEX junky

"trying again..."??

This is nothing special, I have been flying RC helis for over 30 years, however, when it comes to multi rotors I am still a little worried about orientation at distance. So, I have mounted a rear fin and added 3watt led lighting units, just to aid me. It has no effect on the flying (adds about 150g)....and maybe I don't need it...one day I'll remove it and see. I must admit that it's not such a big issue now I have the Z15 mounted.

View attachment 5013

Attachments

• Fin_1.jpg
    Fin_1.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 355

gregs

Thanks for the posting...

You say you've been flying for over thirty years, I assume gasser's. How do you like flying multirotors? Can you expound?

HEX junky

I have flown all types, now all scale, mainly gassers, electric, mostly turbine upto 1/4 scale nowadays.

I love multirotors, not a problem to fly....but orientation to me is a *****. Night time is better, I flew my F450 with lights and fireworks attached :tennis:

DJIFlyer

NICE!!

i hope you noticed the amendums to have the ESC,s repaired or exchanged?
just as a pre caution

Hey Guys, I just came across this post. I have a new S800 that I am in the process of setting up (haven't flown it yet) and then I saw this comment above. Does this comment pertain to the ESC's on the S800??? Is there some sort of service bulletin or repair needed already

Clint

ChrisViperM

Hey Guys, I just came across this post. I have a new S800 that I am in the process of setting up (haven't flown it yet) and then I saw this comment above. Does this comment pertain to the ESC's on the S800??? Is there some sort of service bulletin or repair needed already

Clint

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4462-DJI-S800-Product-Bulletin-ESC-too-high-temperature
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677105&highlight=s800http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...800-Product-Bulletin-ESC-too-high-temperature

...read carefully

But I would advice you not to "fix" it on your own. Apparently DJI will not fix, but exchange the ESC's.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJIFlyer

Wow. Thanks for sending this along. I did read it carefully and immediately contacted DJI to see where I stand in this mess. I have more more question, if you can bear with me: I am (or WAS) preparing to install my WKM flight controller on the S800 now that I have completed my gimbal setup, battery tray, etc. I have been trying to figure out how other people are installing their WKM but can't seem to find any detailed images or videos. I understand where they are mounting the IMU and GPS (which are obvious) but what about the other parts of the system, and where are people mounting the WKM's LED unit, or is that somehow replaced by what appears to be LEDs built into the S800 arms (?). Any tips would be appreciated as I am a little bit confused by this. Thanks.

DJIFlyer

Thanks for this, very helpful. So, I guess its a pretty straight forward installation with all the original parts and probably best to mount the WKM LED unit on the back of the unit for best average visibility. By the way: Does the S800 have its own LEDs mounted on the bottom of the arms near the motors? and if so do they mirror what the WKM LED is doing?

DJIFlyer

This is my finished S800 with Zenmuse. flying weight is 7.1kg (complete with Waypoint, nav lights, etc). I have done the required re-work and this thing is awesome. It is soooo stable.

This is the first test flight with the Zenmuse....unbelievable how stable this is, there is no post processing..straight from the camera. At about 8 minutes into the video I start shaking the S800, you can see how stable this setup is:

View attachment 6723

Hex Junky: Great stuff and very inspiring! I am still setting up my S800 and it is now up to 6.70 kilograms without and FPV, Waypoint, etc. added. I don't have the Zenmuse, I'm trying to use a new AV200 gimbal from Photohigher with a Canon T2I and a pair of 5000 mAh 6S lipos. The weight sure adds up quickly. Could you tell me how yours flies at this weight of 7.1 kilos? Do you think that it would fly any heavier if necessary, or have you tried it at a higher weight?

skivvie

"trying again..."??

This is nothing special, I have been flying RC helis for over 30 years, however, when it comes to multi rotors I am still a little worried about orientation at distance. So, I have mounted a rear fin and added 3watt led lighting units, just to aid me. It has no effect on the flying (adds about 150g)....and maybe I don't need it...one day I'll remove it and see. I must admit that it's not such a big issue now I have the Z15 mounted.

I see the new battery tray there... when did you get yours? Anyone else get theirs yet?

DJIFlyer

View attachment 6723

Hex Junky: I love your video! Nice work and very encouraging for me. I have an S800 too but I am using a Photohigher AV200 with a Canon 5D Mark 2for stills and my Canon T2i for video. My total weight including 2 5,000 mAh lipos and all ready to fly is the same weight as yours. I have been trying to find someone who has a similar total weight to ask them what their gain settings are before I take off an try this setup. I realize that this seems to be 'the most asked question' relating to DJI but if you happen to know your gains and can share them with me it will give me some peace of mind when I push that throttle up. Thanks, and thanks for you nice video.