Align Multicopter First Experience with Align G3 Gimbal on a Skyjib

Quinton

Finally got my Align G3 gimbal with GH4 hooked up to my Skyjib Super 6.

On the ground it seemed to be solid, but after putting it in the air for the first time, I see it still needs a lot of work.
I know I am using an odd lens for tests 45-175 (at the 45mm mark, 90mm full frame equivalent) which is not helping for now, but at least its exagerating any problems I may have.
On the first video you can see a lot of Jello (Sorry for being out of focus, but I wwas rushing a bit before the rain came on)
On the 2nd one I actually went home and changed the dampeners to tension mode to see if it would make much difference, which you can see in video 2 and 3.

First one was 3 black dampeners on each, 2nd one onwards was changed to tension instead of compression with grey added to the middle and a zip tie on each corner.
http://align.wiki/index.php?title=G3_Gimbal (Bottom of page)
This lens does not have OIS built onto it, however it was turned on in camera, but not sure if that effects video tbh as it doesnt seem to make anywhere near like is lenses that have the button on the side.

Will try it out with oher lenses when the weather picks up again, but so far not so goood for me anyhow, these are very first flights/tests with the Align gimbal.

Gimbal gains below..
First one is 1/100 iso 200 f18 no ND filter

This one is 1/50 F6.3 iso 1000 with an ND1.2

A lot more playing around to be done as you can see, the gains that Align post just wont work for me at all.
The Skyjib could do with the gains tuning more, as this was the first time I had it on here, and I left legs down to see how much I was flying around, and gimble was locked in 1 position, as I was on my own, and dont have any video downling for it set up yet.

Pan 40, 18,71,90
Tilt 39,10,39,80
Roll 54,10,55,80

Anyone else have much success with the Align gimbal?

Hi Quinton,
I think you are not the only one thinking that this gimbal needs a lot of time/effort/testing to get usable.
I take it you have been following the trials & tribulations on FB?? as this seems to be the best source of information at the minute.

I myself have found all the suggested gains (even tailored to suit my particular GH4 12mm f2 olympus & ND filters) little help.

I've tried tension & compression mointing. Tesion can give better results but wobbles & as not all the different coloured dampers are available in the uk I have had little chance to try others.

Suffice to say...you are not alone in your thoughts!

Quinton

Yeah I have been following the facebook stuff, but a lot of it is contradicting itself..
They say...
Pan: P=88 I=10 D=100 POWER=100
Roll: P=80 I=10 D=80 POWER=80

Do not touch these, however the half decent tuning video is nowhere near these, not to mention if you set it like this then when you add a 2nd receiver it moved like crap, especially the pan axis, and shutters quite badly when you tilt it forward or back fully and hold it there.
You can't really have gain amounts connected to 2nd receiver control surely.
I have a 35-100 with power IOS on now to see what thats like, problem is weather looks like crap here in the UK for the next week.
This is on a skyjib which also has its own dampeners above Aligns, so if anything it shouldn't be this bad.

Don't start me off on this....argh. I've been all round the houses with it. Like you say, set it up on the bench to work fine, fly it & it looks crap.
Align's suggested gains are fekkin ridiculous if you ask me. Like you I tried them.
The 30deg up tilt max envelope is so easily hit, even in gentle forward flight esp in gusts of wind which throws the gimbal into craziness or simply crashes the controller or even loses pan lock on mine.

As stated on FB the tilt motor is massively powerful, in fact too so for a gh4/12mm & can generate its own vibrations which once that occurs the controller loses it.
I'm on the edge of shelving it completely TBH biting the bullet & just getting a Z15.

Quinton

For the lens it looks pretty reasonable.
The 3rd video had an ND filter on it, I am pretty sure it is the rubber dampeners, there is a bloke using the yellow ones who seems to be getting really good results.
His gains do seem a bit strange, also he had updated to fw 2 but seems to be still using old software as they have now removed the I gain in the new software.

binlagin

Hey Shack!

Thanks for Linking the wiki :) Good to know some people are using it. I have all my current findings and any shared findings on the Facebook page.

I'm flying the M480L, G3 and Lumix LX100 combo.

Here is the state of my current state of things

Getting better... but I'm waiting for those Yellow dampeners.

I think I'm going to attempt both APSM and Gimbal updates tonight... but I'm semi hesitant with some of the reports on the facebookpage

cogumelo

Is the hdmi/av converter from the Align G3 gimbal compatible to 1080p video signal?
I'm trying to use a BMPCC on it, but no success... I have OSD info, but no video, sometimes corrupted video signal...
thanks

GotHeliRC

http://gothelirc.com
Hi guys,

This is the result I was getting with our test unit with Nex5R.

Did you ever considering playing with the copter gain, not the gimbal gain? I was switching around with the dampers and gimbal gain and really couldn't get it to improve much. Until I started to lower the gain on the flight controller. If you think about it, a smoother correction by the flight controller is needed to begin with.

I remember back then when Hoverfly controller first came out, oh boy I spend 50-80 flight tuning that board. But once I got that dial in, even my servo gimbals was getting good result.

Is the hdmi/av converter from the Align G3 gimbal compatible to 1080p video signal?
I'm trying to use a BMPCC on it, but no success... I have OSD info, but no video, sometimes corrupted video signal...
thanks
That's because the BMPCC camera doesn't output enough voltage on its HDMI natively.
There is a mod on FB that one guy has done adding a small battery pack onto the HDMI/gimbal & also to the converter board to get it to work.

Mark Martinez

Hi guys,

This is the result I was getting with our test unit with Nex5R.

Did you ever considering playing with the copter gain, not the gimbal gain? I was switching around with the dampers and gimbal gain and really couldn't get it to improve much. Until I started to lower the gain on the flight controller. If you think about it, a smoother correction by the flight controller is needed to begin with.

I remember back then when Hoverfly controller first came out, oh boy I spend 50-80 flight tuning that board. But once I got that dial in, even my servo gimbals was getting good result.

What gain settings are you using for gimbal and flight controller ??