Firmware 5.06 warning

Tomstoy2

Well, I rolled back to 5.02 and am much happier for it.

With 5.06, the motors were warmer, but only by 10 degrees F. Currently with 5.02 they are running 82 degree's F. Control on my X/Acft Hexa is now back to normal, much tighter, no more yaw drift, no more toilet bowl.

I really hope the s-800 guys are happy with it, but for the medium sized crowd it kink of sucked.

iceman

I'm back to 5.02, there is no way I'm going back to 5.06 fan or no fan it's just not worth the risk. I'm still sure that the ESC's get too hot and go into a thermal protection mode, either reducing power or cutting it. If one ESC gets a bit hotter before another and reduces power then you will see a drift in that direction that the WKM can't compensate for. Itbis possible that other makes of ESC may not be as susceptible to the thermal issue.

kristiaj

My DJI wkm was delivered with 5.06 and I never tried earlier versions. It works ok with no payload, but when I add camera(700grams) ESC's get hot and starts to shut down after a couple of minutes. I have not had this problem when using other controllers on this multirotor. Using Turnigy Plush 30A, timing set to "High"

What kind of ESC's and settings are you experiencing problems with?

Is this issue fixed in new 5.08 firmware?

Was going to load 5.02 firmware, but can't find previous firmware releases anywhere!?

iceman

I'm using HiModelpro 30amp ESC's, I only did one filight that ended in the hexa drifting backwards and unable to stop it (ended in a crash). My hexa is a heavy lift at 4.84kg inc payload, I won't be using 5.06 EVER!! and from what I understand 5.08 is the same but can't confirm as I have'nt tried it. It looks like DJI have redesigned the website, 5.02 was listed with 5.06 bit I think they have taken it down, I won't try 5.08 because I am happy with 5.02 and until 5.08 has been proven by others I'm not going to risk £Ks of kit become a brick or scrap.

kristiaj

What can cause this problem? I believe I can run the esc/engine directly from rx receiver at much higher speed than required for normal flight, without having problems with ESC overheating. But when WMK controls the ESC it gets hot. Is it because WKM is changing motorspeed more rapidly, causing more stress/heat on ESC? Have anyone experimented with changing ESC timing and WKM gain to se if this may affect ESC temperature?

DJI has a lot of explaining to do but they just don't care.

The day after in warned them about a serious and dangerous bug covered in this thread: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3688
they patched and silently moved to 5.04, a version which was not ready yet but forced to be released. One day after they found another thing and make 5.06 which obviously was also not ready since the many troubles user had with this one. I don't know yet if this bug was fixed.

Now they switched to 5.08...

Also i asked them to fix the problem with motor mixer, which is not working in 8 motor configuration because of the same dangerous bug (stabilization always on, even off is checked). The problem is covered in thread: http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3926

Can anyone check if they fixed this motor mixer/stabilization bug?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
This is exactly why I am giving Hoverfly a shot. I dont want to learn chinese or german to get the answers I need. And even if I spoke those languages fluently I probably wouldnt get very far.

but I do have to say on 5.06 my WKM on my Y6 is very nice. The yaw is an issue still where I cant turn the gains down to smooth it out without getting glitchyness. I turn it up and it becomes less erratic but overly sensitive. And then you add wind to the picture and things get worse.

kristiaj

Ok,, so I loaded firmware 5.02. Also tried lowering ESC timing to medium. The problem is the same, the ESC's get too hot. I'm not sure DJI is to blame in my case.

kristiaj

I use avrotos and maytech v1's and have never had over heating at all on either firmware.

I also use Avroto 2814... It would be very interesting to have some more info about your multirotor.
Is it a quad, hexa or octo?
What is the total weight of your multirotor.
What kind of propellers do you use?
Are you using 4S battery?
How big are your Maytech ESC's, 40A? Do they get hot at all?