FAA To streamline 333 sUAS/UAS COA's

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Including a blanket authorization to operate under 200' anywhere in the US except where noted!!!!

Blanket authorization is a huge deal!

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=82245
The Federal Aviation Administration has established an interim policy to speed up airspace authorizations for certain commercial unmanned aircraft (UAS) operators who obtain Section 333 exemptions. The new policy helps bridge the gap between the past process, which evaluated every UAS operation individually, and future operations after we publish a final version of the proposed small UAS rule.

Under the new policy, the FAA will grant a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) for flights at or below 200 feet to any UAS operator with a Section 333 exemption for aircraft that weigh less than 55 pounds, operate during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions, operate within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the pilots, and stay certain distances away from airports or heliports:

• 5 nautical miles (NM) from an airport having an operational control tower; or
  • 3 NM from an airport with a published instrument flight procedure, but not an operational tower; or
  • 2 NM from an airport without a published instrument flight procedure or an operational tower; or
  • 2 NM from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure
The “blanket” 200-foot COA allows flights anywhere in the country except restricted airspace and other areas, such as major cities, where the FAA prohibits UAS operations. Previously, an operator had to apply for and receive a COA for a particular block of airspace, a process that can take 60 days. The agency expects the new policy will allow companies and individuals who want to use UAS within these limitations to start flying much more quickly than before.

Section 333 exemption holders will automatically receive a “blanket” 200 foot COA. For new exemption holders, the FAA will issue a COA at the time the exemption is approved. Anyone who wants to fly outside the blanket parameters must obtain a separate COA specific to the airspace required for that operation.

Get more information on the FAA and UAS on our website.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it's part of the 333 process which I believe will go away when the new regs are put into place.

Old Man

The existing regs don't have any provisions that would exempt having a PPL. Until 107 is codified that requirement has to remain in place to comply with existing laws covering commercial flight activities. Being sUAS really has nothing to do with it. If it flies for hire it has to have a licensed pilot doing the flying. 107 establishes new law that removes the PPL requirement.

Steve Graham

I see this as seriously good news that reflects the possibility the FAA is recognizing the value of sUAS and trying to increase access to law abiding groups now rather than wait until the final rule is implemented.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
200ft, that sucks though. At least it is another step in the right direction.

Old Man

For those performing shoots in local "bread and butter" type work 200' is quite a lot. Not requiring a COA is a massive streamlining of the process. That alone can remove weeks of planning and bureaucratic delay from any given shoot. Time IS money.

I guess I'm the moron in the blog, my apologies i don't read Fed talk well. So what do I need to do to get my <200' COA? Most flare stacksn bridges, and towers are in that 200' areana lots of good money to be made there.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I guess I'm the moron in the blog, my apologies i don't read Fed talk well. So what do I need to do to get my <200' COA? Most flare stacksn bridges, and towers are in that 200' areana lots of good money to be made there.

Either apply for the 333 and still have a Private pilots license or wait for the "new" regs to get pushed through....
(Ground school only = license deal....)

Old Man

Currently the only commercial operations permitted are to be done by 333 Waiver holders. The 200' exemption is only useful for them. Without a waiver you cannot legally operate commercially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dark_star

Yep, and section 333 exemption will likely be the only legal way to operate until late 2016 to mid 2017, which is the best guess at this point on when the new proposed rules would take effect. Then again, the NPRM took nine years to release so it could, unfortunately, be beyond 2017.

Can you send me a link to keep up on this evolving situation? Seems as though there is a do something mentality no matter how ridiculous it is. Seriously, have you read some of the petitions for exemption? Leave it up to the gov create a 195p. document to keep honest people honest.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Law firm that offers 333 exemption applications:

http://www.antonelli-law.com/Drone_UAS_Practice_Group.php

$5000 to $7500.
I've inquired about the chances of an exemption being granted. You could apply and be declined.
I've also asked about the timeline. If it takes 12 months to get an exemption, you might as well wait 6 more months for the new regs and save $5000.
And you still need that pilots license...

scotth

It's not just the application (which isn't really an application.. it's a petition letter). You need a operations manual, aircraft flight and maintenance manuals, etc. The ops manual is an original document. I spent over 200 hours writing mine. Also, if all goes well it can be done in 4 months. But yes.. you need that pilot's license.

Old Man

The application approval time line is precisely why my partner and I elected to terminate our activities in preparing 333 documentation. The point at which Part 107 becomes law heavily influences the need for filing an exemption petition and also eliminates the need of a Pilot's license. BTW. If one has a lot of experience in writing tech documentation the cost of prep is well under what that law firm charges for filing. Realistically a well prepared application should not cost more than a couple grand.

scotth

The application approval time line is precisely why my partner and I elected to terminate our activities in preparing 333 documentation. The point at which Part 107 becomes law heavily influences the need for filing an exemption petition and also eliminates the need of a Pilot's license. BTW. If one has a lot of experience in writing tech documentation the cost of prep is well under what that law firm charges for filing. Realistically a well prepared application should not cost more than a couple grand.

Ya at this stage of the game the petition letter is almost boilerplate. You can look at every single one that's been submitted, and those that have been approved... and all the correspondence in between. What you can't see are the ops documents. I notice that the law firm mentioned refers you to aviation consultants for that.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Answer from Antonelli Law:
We received FAA approval for our client Nixon Engineering on Friday:

http://dronelawsblog.com/2015/04/antonelli-law-client-receives-section-333-approval/

We filed his petition more than 6 months ago - the FAA is very behind. Our success rate is 100% therefore, but to be fair the other five 333 petitions we have filed on behalf of clients are still waiting their turn with the FAA for a decision. We do think they will be approved.

Jeffrey Antonelli
Antonelli Law Ltd.
They've filed 6 and just got this Nixon Engineering Friday...