F550 WKM Gains

VINHEX

I've been flying for a little while but mainly concentrating on the flying. Never messed around with the gains until the other week. Seems a little more stable when flying. I don't have any equipment like camera or landing gear.

What are you guys putting on your gain settings..

Zen Mitt

I always have used in flight tuning for my two copters, it's the quick and easy way to tune them up for great flights! I don't have the DX8, however a few friends have them at the field where I fly, is there an AUX 3 channel on there you could use for the tuning while in the air?

When I set mine up I moved the gains up until the "shakes" started (you will know the shakes when you see them), then backed it off slowly untill it was very solid and had sharp reactions to the controller stick movement, after that I did not touch them again, they are rock solid now!

shsober

I'm curious about this too. Will be adding an NEX 5 and NX550 Gimbal in a few days.

Steve
DJI F550
DJI WK-M
Spektrum DX-8
Spektrum AR8000
Graupner 10"
3S 4000
3S 5000
Sony NEX 5
AG 550 NX Gimbal

VINHEX

Waiting for landing gear to arrive, then will re-build with the setting zen advised check page 22 on manual will setup to see how it all goes. Adding Gruapner props as well so should be a nice upgrade....

shsober

It doesn't sound like the gains are being set in Assistant. I'm concerned the knob on the Tx is too easy to turn.

VINHEX

I know what ya mean Steve, I'm building mine tomorrow but going to give it a go. Keeping std props on just in case it decides to flip... Will let you know the out come.. Not taking it high, keeping low and seeing what happens but could save shed load of time to setup.

Dewster

I recently built a DJI F550 and converted it into a Y6. I flew it about 10 times (low altitude) and found it to be too responsive when I gave it control inputs and it was affected by the slightest breeze. I decided it was time to adjust the gains so I flew it (not recommended) in an empty room (about 22 feet by 15 or so feet). The craft flying in the room creates a lot of rotor wash and turbulence causing the craft to bounce around and requiring a lot of control input to keep it in one spot. I increased the basic gains so that the craft would be less affected by wind and decreased the attitude gains so that my control input for the craft was more smooth (not jerky from stick commands). Adjusting the gains made a world of a difference. The craft was able counter the wind generated in the room and my control inputs for the craft was smoothed out. Flying just above it's rotor wash (above ground effect) was great and also landing was less bouncy and unpredictable.

I'm always finding interesting videos on Youtube that help. This one is not in english, but you can see how adjusting the gains of a craft affects it's performance. Youtube:

http://youtu.be/ITJhJ34BiMc

Last edited by a moderator:

VINHEX

Messed around yesterday with the remote gain control. I've not used it in flight, just checked how it would work in the software. I mapped it to AUX3 from the drop down on the Gains settings in the software.. I did have to turn off the RTH switch that was set to X3. You have to be a little gentle but it dons't move that rapid when doing it.. Just wondering which way to do it, what first or can they all be done together.

Need to really swat up on gains and how it all works..

Vin

shsober

Without knowing any better through experience or recommendations, I'd do pitch and roll together, then do yaw and throttle separately.
How have you set your voltage and load?

VINHEX

Logical advise thanks Steve. Will check tonight on voltage setup as cant remember to hand what I did.. I'm running 3S and I've not set the RTH just warning lights from each level ie Yellow, then red. I normally get around 1.5/2 minutes flying when in yellow before showing RED however! In Red she seems to want to land within 20 seconds and quickly too.. Not sure if the 5.14 is any different as not checked yet/

mmurfitt

I'm always finding interesting videos on Youtube that help. This one is not in english, but you can see how adjusting the gains of a craft affects it's performance. Youtube:

http://youtu.be/ITJhJ34BiMc

This is a great video, I just wish he was using a Spektrum DX8 to help me figure out how to do the same with my DX8, but it's all good theory.

I'm just wondering what you guys have plugged in to the X1 and X2?
I currently have them plugged in to my gimbal, but I want to try the remote gain thing as my F550 is quite a handful and it just makes sense to adjust the gains on the fly rather than having to land it and plug it in each time.

Logic is telling me to not have anything plugged in to X1 and X2, does anyone know if this is correct?

Blimey but this is all a steep learning curve.. :)

VINHEX

As long as you have the x2 x3 connected. You can turn off gimbal in settings in the assistant software. Once off map x3 to x3 In dx8 and the gains settings select drop down on gains rather than inh choose x3 the when turning the dial you should see the gains change in assistant. When flying this must be done slowly.. Your see how they move when connected in assistant..

mmurfitt

As long as you have the x2 x3 connected. You can turn off gimbal in settings in the assistant software. Once off map x3 to x3 In dx8 and the gains settings select drop down on gains rather than inh choose x3 the when turning the dial you should see the gains change in assistant. When flying this must be done slowly.. Your see how they move when connected in assistant..

Hey Vin,
Thanks for the direction.
So what I've done is disable the Gimbal in the software but I'm struggling trying to map the X3 knob to anything, either on the DX8 or the software.
Actually, on the Autopilot page, on the dropdowns beneath the gain settings I only have X1 and X2 showing, I don't even have an X3...!
I've been through every menu on the DX8 and I can't find anywhere where I map it, I've looked in the settings menu (the menu you access by holding down the scroll wheel when you turn on) and under 'Switch Select' the 'Knob' is mapped to X3, so I guess I'm part the way there, just not sure where I find to map it on NAZA software...
Any help would be very much appreciated.

mmurfitt

Ok, so I've been looking a little more closely at my F550 and the X3 on the AR8000 has nothing plugged in to it, which must be why I'm not seeing it on the software. And on the NAZA FC the X3 has the lead from the LED BEC plugged in to it, does anyone know if this is correct?
Everything flies correctly, so it can't be too bad, so what do I plug in to the spare X3 on the AR8000?

VINHEX

Apologies mix aux3 to aux 1or 2 on dx8 will so the same I've got this connected Dow fail safe. This way you can use dial on dx8 to control.

Vin

I am running 5.12A firmware in my WKM and my gains on a stock F550 with 4s 5000mah, graupner 10", 2 axis gimbal, gopro, Video Tx and 2cell lipo for Video is Pitch & Roll 210, Yaw-190 and vertical is 190. Its flying good. Would love to hear What gains are you guys flying with?

Adarsh