F550 w/NAZA Lite; GPS att. question...

Flymagic

I've been testing flight characteristics of my newly build F550, and I see that in the GPS mode, at full throttle the hex barely gets up to 10-15 feet. In manual mode, it has no trouble gaining altitude. Why is there such a reduction in the power to the motors on my craft? Is there a way to fix this? Does anyone fly with the 9" carbon fiber self tightening blades? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Barely gets to 15 feet? I think a little more information is required on your setup.

In future if you want to get more answers, you really need to provide the full setup. Right off the bat I am going to say you are too heavy, wrong motors, wrong prop, wrong battery size for what you are lifting.

Post your setup, AUW, battery size and anything else you have on that F550

Now, please shock me with the details... lol

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
What has calibrating a GPS anything to do with only going up 15 feet? Obviously it is too heavy... I had the same issue when I had a F550, I added a GoPro and some skids and it would hardly come off the ground.

CoNa

I have read a thread somewhere that in GPS mode the start is somewhat regulated in power up to about 10 feet.
There is some throttle calibration going on at start obviously.
This why you need to give high throttle to get off ground.
If it is heavy, it is even more pronouced. I notice it myself with my 2.4 kg AUW F550.

Flymagic

Setting your limits to 15 feet will also cause this... right?

Okay gang, so here's the update.

Testing the F550 over the weekend, she seemed to fly with renewed vigor and was able to gain altitude without a problem, however, it was a low altitude test, still had throttle left,though.

My newest concern is: when held in a hover, she wanted to drift forward and to the right. Instead of adjusting transmitter trims, is there a way of dialing a fix for this into the software? Could this be
fixed with a gain adjustment? If yes, as my DX8 rotary knob is currently set for gimbal tilt, how would I set it for gain adjustment easily, and I assume this would be dialed in during a test flight?

Am I close? ;-)

CoNa

Is the drift "toilet bowl" behavior or will it keep on drifting infinitivly?
If so "TB", have you checked the GPS alignment for magnetic declination?
If it keeps on drifting, have you checked CG?

I have put gains on a DT5 switch on my Futaba T8J and set it to in- or de-crease by 2% each push.
That way the rotary is still free for the gimbal pitch

Flymagic

Thanks, CoNa, will implement your suggestions on my return...heading to Montana to hopefully shoot some dynamic aerials with a smaller UAS. (As the FCC likes to call them).