F550 just will not fly please help!

Stretch617

Hi all, I'm at my wits end. I've been trying to fix an F550 for several months.

I upgraded my F550 with Avroto motors and had a crash after upgrading to the latest Naza M firmware. It shot up into the air, stalled and crashed. It appeared to be just a couple of arms that were the issue but I had trouble getting M1 and M5 to spin up. I replaced ESC's and motors to no avail. I decided the Naza must have been damaged so I replaced that with the Naza Lite, downgraded back to the stock DJI motors and got all 6 motors spinning but on startup only 3 start (m2,m4,m6) and after some throttle the others start with m1 finally spinning up just before it takes off. Not ideal. So I replaced the ESC again for M1 and resoldered every single connection on the F550 plate and tidied it up. This time M1 spun up nicely but a couple of the other motors were still lagging.

I decided to take her out and see if she would take off. I spun her up and again M1 was sluggish to start. It seems M1 and a couple of the other motors have an intermittent power connection. I’m now wondering if the base plate has taken some damage from all the crashes and is causing intermittent power issues.

To sum up, I've replaced the ESC's, the motors, the Naza, re soldered, re-bound and I am now completely bald.

If anyone has any suggestions other than buying something better like an S800 evo then let me know as after months of trying to build a stable platform I still haven't been able to fly it with landing gear and take a single photo or frame of video.

Thanks in advance

Stretch

Bison52

My experience when I upgraded to Avrotos with 11in Graupners was that the rig was much more vibration sensitive.

It would either experience an abrupt semi controlled descent or would begin shuddering violently like gains were extremely high.

I had already balanced props but I rebalanced including hubs, balanced the motors, and replaced the sticky pad holing the Naza with Zeal gel pads. I was using a third party mount for the GPS and the post seemed very susceptible to vibration so I removed it and mounted the GPS directly to the top plate.

I replaced the stock ESC with some 40 a I bought fom Rusty that were preloaded with SimonK firmware. I loved the performance but I had to move the motor idle speed setting up one notch, otherwise the motors seemed to power up and down unevenly at below 50% throttle. This was originally on an older firmware version. I don't know if the newer versions that require 50% throttle to spool ip make any difference. It works fine with the older setting so I've left it alone.

Good luck

Mike

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Lets eliminate any other issues... Remove the naza from the wiring, plug an ESC direct into the throttle port on your receiver, without a prop on it and power it up and see if it spins up ok. Now try that with the rest of them, this will tell you if your ESC to motor connection is ok.

Now without knowing your radio type, I can't guess at whether or not you have some weird mix going on, or if you have everything set right and no trims. I would start from the basics, check your motors and ESCs, check the bottom board for hairline cracks (I broke one of mine).

There can be a lot of things doing this, but I am wondering if your radio and receiver are set up correctly?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Just out of interest. Did you calibrate properly in the assistant? All green when you press finish?

Just checking.