F550 Battery mounting

HexaTiger

While I wouldn't consider myself a beginner (I've been flying for ~2 years) with my f550, I did just recently take the dive into FPV. Yesterday on a whim I purchased a decently reviewed FPV headset/receiver combo (Eachine EV800), a vTx (Eachine ET600, overheating concerns?), a FPV camera (RunCam SkyPlus). What capacity 3S battery should I use to power the Tx and Camera? Also, my primary flight battery is normally flown on the top center of my craft so I'm currently looking for alternative mounting solutions to mounting the FPV battery. Also, tips on mounting the FPV camera for optimal view and the Tx for optimal cooling?

While I wouldn't consider myself a beginner (I've been flying for ~2 years) with my f550, I did just recently take the dive into FPV. Yesterday on a whim I purchased a decently reviewed FPV headset/receiver combo (Eachine EV800), a vTx (Eachine ET600, overheating concerns?), a FPV camera (RunCam SkyPlus). What capacity 3S battery should I use to power the Tx and Camera? Also, my primary flight battery is normally flown on the top center of my craft so I'm currently looking for alternative mounting solutions to mounting the FPV battery. Also, tips on mounting the FPV camera for optimal view and the Tx for optimal cooling?

What about a BEC (battery eliminator circuit)? I would get a PDB with 12V and 5V outputs, no battery needed, and the outputs are filtered. If your PDB is already wired up, you can put a stand alone BEC in.

HexaTiger

What about a BEC (battery eliminator circuit)? I would get a PDB with 12V and 5V outputs, no battery needed, and the outputs are filtered. If your PDB is already wired up, you can put a stand alone BEC in.

I run a 4S battery on the hex and the Tx only supports 2-3S. I've also heard about BEC adding noise to the system.

Side note: can you recommend a better antenna than the linear antenna included with the transmitter?

What is the transmitter power output? Just off the top of my head I would get a small 1000mw 3s. It doesn't need a high C rating either. It will run the xmtr for a while unless you go out and fly all day. Once you use it a few times you will get a feel for if you need a bigger one or not. The clover leaf antennas are popular with 5.8 ghz setups and they work pretty good. Cooling shouldn't be a problem if the xmtr is built well. You can run the batt right on top of your existing batt if you want so your balance wont be thrown off. Also, don't forget to never power up the xmtr without an antenna attached.

I run a 4S battery on the hex and the Tx only supports 2-3S. I've also heard about BEC adding noise to the system.

Side note: can you recommend a better antenna than the linear antenna included with the transmitter?

The tx supports 2S or 3S directly, but the BEC will supply 12V (or 5V if that's what you need) to the tx, even if you run 6S. A BEC should never introduce noise itself, but can pass noise from the ESCs and motors if it is not filtered. So be sure to choose one with an internal LC filter, which most should have. I run 4S and 2300kv motors with no noise troubles at all from my BECs which are built into my PDB.

For antennas, most people use circular polarized ones. You might check out TBS Triumph on the high end, or Aomway on the budget end.

HexaTiger

I guess I'm hesitant to run them off the same battery. I can't decide if two batteries equates to more points of failure or less. Would I lose more flight time from adding the weight of a second battery or from the drain of the camera and Tx? Also, is the purpose of the BEC to eliminate voltage sag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The purpose of the BEC is to convert input voltage of 6V-24V to 12V output. The LC filter inside is to eliminate voltage spikes and sag.

I am not sure which would produce more runtime, it depends on the weight of the second battery.

HexaTiger

The purpose of the BEC is to convert input voltage of 6V-24V to 12V output. The LC filter inside is to eliminate voltage spikes and sag.

I am not sure which would produce more runtime, it depends on the weight of the second battery.

Is 2200 mAh too large for an FPV setup? Also, what about the EM field generated by an LC filter? Do I need to shield the filter from the antenna?

Is 2200 mAh too large for an FPV setup? Also, what about the EM field generated by an LC filter? Do I need to shield the filter from the antenna?

It sure sounds big to me. At 12V, 600mW draws 50mA. So a 2200mah battery would theoretically run for something like 44 hours. You could easily step down to something like 500mah.

HexaTiger

Does the BEC you linked include an LC filter? The banggood page doesn't mention it. Also, there's no wiring diagram, in the main picture, whats the left side 12V for?

HexaTiger

I think I am going to go the secondary battery route for now, if I find the flight time to be poor I might order those BECs and run them off the PDB. Thanks for all your help.

HexaTiger

Little bit of a necro here, but i already purchased some 1300mAh 2S turnigys that HK had on super cheap day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk