Estes Proto X Propellers - RTFM

jondrew

I love my little Proto Xs. Give me lots of indoor flying time. After a crash and a propeller replacement one of them would only spin around in a circle like a dying cockroach. I swapped propellers again just to make sure. Looked for something binding the motor. Everything I could think of. I assumed I had banged it so hard I had damaged the motor and since you dont seem to be able to buy replacements I figured that was that.
So I fly #2 for a week or so more. It has a hard crash. Replace the prop. Next thing you know, same thing. Spinning cockroach. In fact its the same side as the first one, left rear prop (Rear props are black, fronts are white). Now I'm sad. I have another one on order, but it wont be here for a few days. So I have an idea. Since I damaged the motors, I could swap a "good" motor from one to the bad motor. I get out the soldering iron, pop off the wires and make the swap. Guess what? Spinning cockroach again. But the morors seem to be running full speed. Why wont it fly? Then, all of a sudden I realize that the rear left motor is spinning backwards! Air is blowing up instead of down. Somehow, I must have damaged the innards of the quad such that it is confused and spinning one motor in reverse. So instead of using a white propeller from the front (with reverse pitch), I unsolder the wires and reverse them. Now it kind of flies but is very unstable and keeps yawing (spinning). Compeltely uncontrolable. I ponder this for a bit, then do a thourogh check of which direction all the props spin. I now have 3 props spinning in the same direction so there is no counter force to stabilize it. How can that be? Black props (rear) spin in one direction, white ones (front) spin in the other, right? Or maybe, if I had looked closely I would have seen that some of the black props have a tiny "A" molded on them, and some have a tiny "B". And in fact some are pitched in one direction, some in the other.
Anyway, this is a long-winded story since once I look at the manual it clearly indicates there are "A" and "B" propellers for each color and where to put them. Good news is that both quads work now. Bad news is I just bought a 3rd one I really dont need and I spent an afternoon chasing a ghost.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
jon

where do you live and how much did you pay for it? want to sell it (the un-crashed-and-then-fixed one :) )?? i was going to pick one up anyway. does it have a transmitter?

bart

jondrew

Hi Bart (name is Bob). I'll probably just return it to Amazon (the uncrushed one). They have them for $40. I live in Fla (jersey refugee). If you're going to buy a mini for indoors, you might want to look at the Husban X4. I have one of those $59. They are a bit bigger, but you can buy parts (crash kits etc) and spare, swapable batteries. Being a bit heavier, they are somewhat more stable.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i still have my trusty blade mqx which is always fun to fly inside during the winter......the...long...and...cold...winter....with....lots.....of....snow....that....is...not.....going...to...ever....go....away....

thought the Estes might be fun to have along with me on trips.

Vas

Dude! Thanks! You just fixed my problem! 4 years after your original message. I could not figure out why my Proto X nano sized spins the propellers in the wrong direction, trying to fly down instead of up. Turns out I have accidently placed black propellers to the front rotors and white to the front (instead of the opposite as they suppose to be) - and they are different! Thank you! To your original post - maybe your one propeller would not spin at full speed because you have trimmed your remote that way? (I doubt it, but who knows)