Endurance

FerdinandK

Hello Denny,

There is no GoPro on the frame yet but he is planning to add one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26784278&postcount=1738
I strongly doubt that these cells are used in F1, since the max discharge rating is 2C for Kers there is a bit more needed (complete discharge in a few seconds).
The current "high-score" with such a setup is 101min:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1880665&page=74&highlight=101#post25977350
The setup is basically a lightweight quadframe (700mm) of about 100gr, motors with approx 360kv (80gr) and 17x5,5 props together with LiIon batteries e.g. the panasonic NCR 18650B you get pretty good flighttimes.

best regards
Ferdinand

DennyR

Ferdinand
They are definitely using Li ion chemistry and the charging rate can be as high as 70-80C. Obviously they don't stick individual panasonic cells together. The main problem with li ion is that the laminations must be contained in a strong case or they will push apart. Red Bull have a dual battery arrangement either side of the gearbox whereas most use a single battery (often inside the gearbox). The Bosh system has vacuum sealed flywheels (4) that run up to 160,000 rpm. which generate the energy during braking. They also get a energy release from super caps. The driver has to keep certain numbers within limits on his steering wheel. Although most of the technology is a closely guarded secret within the teams, one thing is certain and as of the end of this year they were all using Li ion chemistry. Next year who knows as the regulations will allow for a much more powerful ERS system which will take electrical energy from the turbocharger as well and generate 150 bhp. burst for about 10 sec. Expect dev. along the lines better Caps.
The major issue will be cooling and reliability.

FerdinandK

109min 46sec

Here a flight of today, 109min 46sec

12mm frame 700mm m2m
Tunergy Multistar 390kV 16P
18x5,5 foxtech props
12A Tunergy ESCs
4S4P GEB8043125 LiPo
AUW 2100gr (700copter, 1400battery)

... and flown with LiPo

best regards
Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

129min 15sec flighttime

Here my latest result: 129min 15sec

best regards
Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Nice one ferdinand
We now pass 2 hrs and start a new challenge for the future. What are those batteries? are they the same technology as the Panasonic ones.

I ordered a set of Panasonic ones from Germany six weeks ago are they never arrived so my attempt with a tricopter is stalled at the moment.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
might it be better to post your outcomes in a standard format like minutes per 1000 mah, or min/kmah so we can actually see something that would indicate efficiency instead of just overall time?

who are your pilots and how do they not nod off during a two hour flight? i dozed off once on a 45 minute flight with a student in the traffic pattern! he was a good student, fwiw, and i was an overworked/underpaid/malnourished flight instructor at the time. it was a short nap between the crosswind and base legs... :)