dual video downlinks

Would love to hear any insights or comments from folks about using two video downlinks for aerial cinematography. The primary application being one video stream for the pilot to operate the machine and the second video stream from the output of the camera for the camera operator. I guess my main questions are related to RF and how to implement such a system so that safety is maximized and interference is the least it can be in the close confines of the multi rotor.

Anyone doing or know of someone doing this?

nick

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Guess you could use completely different frequencies for the two downlinks like 1.3 and 5.8 with 2.4 for your tx but how it would all work round each other would be another question..

Dave

Efliernz

Pete
I have done this with two 1.3G links on different channels. No interference - it was sweet... at 1000' on a Trex700.

I had the usual camera-operators downlink tx on the rear/base of the underslung mount and the extra downlink from a Sony SuperHAD 1/3" cam on a stalk front/left of the heli, 500mm from the other tx. Separate 3S batteries as it was the easiest to throw together.

Pete

Pete, thanks for that info. I'm going to experiment with two 5.8Ghz systems on different channels. It's great to hear you had such good success with two channels on 1.3.

Crash

Defies Psychics
If you don't already have two 5.8 systems do a test to see what you can see on the RX when the TX is switched to a different channel.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Why not use a diversity board and just use 2 separate headsets for viewing? This is assuming the camera has live view in analog output. I am leaning this way as well. I dont like fatsharks and how they cut off your senses. Too weird for me. I really just want a quick reference to teh framing. Ideally if there was a second person you would just fly within visual range and not have to wear or look at anything other than reality.

Crash, great suggestion. I will do that.

Iris, I need two completely discreet video feeds. One for the fixed FPV camera and one for the camera on the gimbal. It's interesting to hear your comment on the Fatshark. I've already got production monitors for displays so I was leaning that way already but I am curious about trying a video headset to see which display seems more intuitive.

Lanzar

We are using 2 video links on 5ghz. Same manufacturer same link just diferent channels. We have a pilot cameraman sistem. Pilot has his own small camera, Camera man has a dslr or camera live view on. Good thing is that u can switch chanels and check both cameras with 1 click.
Easy and works like a charm. 2x gogles or 1x gogle 1x videostation .

U can see some video's we did.

http://www.kopterworx.com/gallery

Macsgrafs

Dave described our setup that we use. My cam op gets a 5.8GHz sig, I get a 1.3GHz sig & the heli is on 2.4GHz....works very well.

Ross