Dual camera, dual broadcast

Flydigital

Hi there, looking to add the FPV part of my setup shortly.
Tell me if I'm wrong here but I imagine the best FPV set up for filming is one person flying the aircraft with basic camera facing out front, using goggles. Next, a cameraman is watching a monitor linked to a second camera, say a GoPro or DSLR and has second Tx to control the gimbal.

Is this kind of set up common? It would seem like the only way to do it properly and allow each operator to focus on their job. If so I'd like to get into this buying the right kit that allows me to scale up to dual camera setup. I saw this for example:

http://www.hobby-wing.com/fpv-fever-tr5800ddr-1000.html
Is this known generically as dual port diversity?

I would get this and accompany with 2 x cameras, goggles and monitor.

Thanks for any views on this..

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I believe that won't allow two different video feeds. Diversity means it chooses which antenna is receiving the best reception. For two cameras you can either have two transmitters on slightly different frequencies (you can select the frequencies on most transmitters) from each camera, and have two receivers on the ground. With the DJI iOSD you can have two cameras attached but can only select one at a time.

Any help?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi there, looking to add the FPV part of my setup shortly.
Tell me if I'm wrong here but I imagine the best FPV set up for filming is one person flying the aircraft with basic camera facing out front, using goggles. Next, a cameraman is watching a monitor linked to a second camera, say a GoPro or DSLR and has second Tx to control the gimbal.

Is this kind of set up common? It would seem like the only way to do it properly and allow each operator to focus on their job. If so I'd like to get into this buying the right kit that allows me to scale up to dual camera setup. I saw this for example:

http://www.hobby-wing.com/fpv-fever-tr5800ddr-1000.html
Is this known generically as dual port diversity?

I would get this and accompany with 2 x cameras, goggles and monitor.

Thanks for any views on this..

You may just want to check out rules about flying FPV in the UK. I believe the MTOW is 800g but FPVUK has all the legal requirement info on it to meet UK regs.

Dave

Flydigital

I have an F550 which I just weighed this morning. 2.3Kg with everything on except the FPV gear and secondary mini camera. It says take off weight is 2.4Kg max, so almost hitting that now. It may be the 4s 5000 lipo is not helping. I'm planning to try 3s 4500 with 10" props which should reduce the weight a bit.

As far as FPV goes I'll stick to single GoPro image and one tx and keep it simple.

My aim is to film up to a max of around 1000m - nothing further. Should I get the UNO for this? Very new to this but I understand the UNO is a booster (my layman term) to connect FPV Tx on aircraft to ground station monitor.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
By 1000m I assume you mean horizontally, not vertically, as that's 3280ft (where the big planes lurk!). I would advise against going higher than 400ft (122m). As Dave said, read the rules first. And remember, most of those rules that give higher limits are only valid in special places, like RC clubs etc.

The UNO is just a receiver. And the most important bit of the receiver is the antenna. I recommend a little patch antenna (the flat looking ones). You may have to turn it towards the aircraft every now and then. A diversity receiver is best if you can afford it. That with two patch antennas gives a pretty wide range (a patch generally has small field of view, my ones are 35°).

Hope this helps.

Flydigital

Yes, great help thanks. 1000m was horizontal and is actually an estimate as I don't have the telmetry part yet. Yes, also read the rules you're referring to. It's hard at this stage to know what 400ft actually looks like but I'll find out shortly what the limits are. I'll look into the patch- I assume that can be added in time. The UNO bit though, is it UNO OR Diversity, Diversity being 2 instead of one? I've seen 'Duo' and wondering if this is another term for Diversity?

Flydigital

I believe that won't allow two different video feeds. Diversity means it chooses which antenna is receiving the best reception. For two cameras you can either have two transmitters on slightly different frequencies (you can select the frequencies on most transmitters) from each camera, and have two receivers on the ground. With the DJI iOSD you can have two cameras attached but can only select one at a time.

Any help?
Good to know. Seems like keeping it simple is route to go for now. 1 camera setup. Will also add in your tips from later post. Cheers!

rstekeur

I have a F550 with a IOSD MarkII and that allows me to switch between 2 camera's I have a FPV camera and and a gopro on a gimbal that I can switch to if I need to see what I'm recording. I don't trust flying FPV with the gopro as my only camera in case the gopro locks up.