Dronemapper.com

Kilby

Has anyone used Dronemapper.com yet for processing their orthos? We typically do our processing in house, but are looking for some good cloud based solutions so we don't have to manage a bunch of hardware ourselves (processing is very cpu/ram intensive).

Their prices seem reasonable, but I don't know how the quality is. They seem to only accept geo-referenced photos, not Ground Control Points after the fact.

http://dronemapper.com/

-Terry

Kilby

It seems they only do 2D orthomosaics (not full 3d) and from what I have been able to dig up, you HAVE to have georeferenced photos. You can't get by with just collecting ground control points after the fact.

How did you get with Recap360? I looked into it, but there was something that turned me off (can't recall what now). Can hit handle large datasets? Most of our scans are several hundred photos, if not pushing close to a thousand.

We're still testing the Recap360.. seems promising albeit a bit slow to process. We may end up going with something more robust just so we can get point cloud data while still in the field on Ipad. I don't want to travel an entire work station to make it happen for preview.

We come from a tv/film production background so the flying is nothing new but the 3-D modeling is. Neighbor works for Monsanto (I know) and is looking to fast track some different methods of aquiring data in our area. We're just trying to fill an obvious void in the region.

Kilby

Point cloud data in the field isn't going to happen anytime soon on an iPad. It's simply to much data to process. DroneDeploy is probably the fastest turn around time on processing, but it's not point cloud data to start with, just the orthomosaic. They do their 3D data on a second pass from what I can tell. We process our own point clouds and it takes a lot of CPU for some steps and a hell of a lot of RAM for others. A cloud based solution might get you there, but then you are talking about the upload time of several gigabytes of data across a mobile connection. Having georeferenced images certainly helps a great deal, but even then it can take hours on a standard desktop, much longer on a tablet.

That shows just how much more we have to figure out to make it work for us. I was hoping that the client would be able to view a "model in progress" so to speak. But yes.. I see what you mean about uploading hundreds if not thousands of photos on the mobile network and the processing time. Recap360 takes a while to do anything. I'll continue the search and my education in these areas. Thanks Kilby.

Bob Denny

Dronemapper's site, Support menu, Documentation leads to a BUNCH of excellent PDF docs. The 1st one in the list is a great place to start for a newcomer like me. Bravo!