Droidworx Hexa flys again

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Late today I soldered up the spare flight controller and installed it in the Droidworx Hexa in place of the F/C that went up in smoke the other day, did a test flight under the street lights in front of the house a little while ago and all is well again :D

While I was at it I swapped the 10 x 5 Graupner props for the set of APC 11 x 4.7 to try out as well. Interesting, it made a big difference in how the Hexa flys and it was a LOT quieter than it is with the Graupners on. The motors don't really like them though, for the first time ever as far as I can remember the motors were fairly warm to the touch after I landed. Considering it's not much over 20 degrees F outside, that's hot, they're usually completely cool after flying in this weather. So I'll have to wait and see if they react the same way to the Graupner 11 x 5 props when they arrive. If the Roxxy's heat up with those as well it looks like I'll be upgrading the motors to a medium lift size to use the 11 x 5 props. I do need the extra lift that much is plainly obvious from the one flight with the APC, I was hovering at just a hair under 1/2 throttle on the APC's, it takes more than 1/2 to hover with the 10 x 5 props and if I add any more weight than the GoPro Hero on the camera mount performance really starts to go downhill.

I'm waiting to see how the Pulso motors work out on the Hoverfly quad, if they work as well as people say they do, I'll be replacing the Roxxy's on the Hexa with a set, they're a LOT cheaper than the MK heavy lift motors and hopefully a lot better quality than Hobby King cheapo motors. The Roxxys will get installed on whatever the repaired MK flight controller board winds up on, seems that somehow I've wound up with almost enough spare and leftover parts to build another Mikrokopter ;)

Ken