DJI ZENMUSE Z15-N: How to balance....and how to use a different lens

ChrisViperM

After my S800 and my Zenmuse are catching dust for several weeks now (bad ESC's, GPS issues, Firmware issues, reported FOD's) I decided to just go for it and set it up.
Once the Zen was mounted onto the S800 I realized that the roll axis was not level when the camera (Sony NEX 5 with 16 mm lens) was mounted, without power supplied. I was not sure if that is supposed to be or not, but after reading various posts how important it is to have everything on the Zen perfectly balanced. The DJI manual states that you should NOT alter anything on the Zenmuse, so I had an unbalanced Zen and the "instructions" to have it balanced but not to touch anything on the Zen.....mhhhh

I could not believe that I am the only one who is having this, and knowing that it is almost impossible in the manufacturing process to have the Zen 100% balanced, I searched the net...and found this:

There is three remarkable things in this vid:

1) This guy is using a Zeiss 24 mm 1.8 lens....something we are told is not possible

2) It shows you very precisely how to balance the Zen

3) The Zen is mounted on a Single Rotor Heli....

It took me about 1 hour to follow the instructions and get it perfectly balanced (mine is still with the 16 mm lens).....on my Zen all three axis were off balance, and it is really just a fraction of a millimeter in the setting to get it perfect. Especially to hit the sweet spot with the "perpendulum" was a bit tricky......

Hope you guys find this useful....would also like to know if you have similar experiences with Zen being off balance...

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

HEX junky

What battery are you using in the Sony? I had the same using an after market battery! The battery was lighter than the Sony original. Was balanced perfectly with the Sony battery.

i just bought a second Zen to go on a helicopter :)

Last edited by a moderator: