DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal for GoPro.

Rainman, what plingboot and I are talking about is mixing two switches into the one U signal. If you see the slider for the U channel, it has gaps in between Manual and Attitude and GPS, and these regions are the Failsafe/RTH region.
Here's the video I was looking for. Around 3:30 is where he gets into the specifics of configuring a switch to force the U channel into the RTH region.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3tu-4UVgg

Rainman

are you sure you're using the WKM and not the naza?

as far as i'm aware, and i fly both naza and wkm equipped multis, it's the naza's latest firmware which gives the option to swap manual for RTH and this ISN'T what i'm suggesting you do.

either way the radio mix RTH set-up will have no effect on available flightmodes. It simply shifts the U signal transmitted from the radio by X% to put the flightmode into the failsafe area.

it has nothing to do with the actual set-up of the flightcontroller or it's modes.

Apologies, yes you're right it's on the U setting for flight modes. Sorry for the confusion, don't know what I was thinking about. If it's the Naza then there is an option to change the function of one of the control mode zones and thats what I'm confusing.

I knew what you meant at the start, I just confused the heck out of it in my retarded response. ;-)

What I should have said is that I currently have a 3-way switch configured on U to hit 'manual', 'atti' and 'gps' and not use the failsafe zones - which I shall promptly change on my TX assigned U flight mode switch. I get it, really I do lol.

Thanks for your help, I'm kinda kicking myself at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

plingboot

NO! leave the switch for the flightmode alone!

You're creating a mix to a new/unused switch on the radio which only changes the signal on the U channel when this new switch is activated.

If you change the switch you currently have assigned to the U channel, you'll muck everything up.

B

Bengit

Hi Guys,

I’m new here but I’ve been playing around with a few different camera gimbals including cheap servo driven efforts and more recently the Aeroxcraft brushless gimbal which work well enough for some applications and this week I managed to obtain a Zenmuse H3-2D which I’ve installed on my F550 with Wookong-M.

The Zenumuse 2D-H3 itself works excellently and appears to give a far superior level of stabilisation over the Aeroxcraft (which is simply an Arduino based solution), but then it costs twice as much and you’d expect it to be better. It’s also more compact and the wiring solution on the Zenmuse is exactly what you want … no trailing AV cables from the GoPro at all, which is a major downfall of other brushless gimbals. The major issue I found with the Aeroxcraft gimbal is that in forward flight the wind resistance of the external cables would cause the gimbal to continually glitch and reset. I tried securing the cables any number of different ways and it’s really hard to do it in such a way that they are not dangling in the wind but are also sufficiently loose enough to allow the gimbal to move freely. With the Zenmuse this is a complete non-issue and as such it works very well in fast forward flight – which is actually the main reason I bought it and so I'm satisfied with that aspect.

However … now time for the gripes … as mentioned I’m using it with a Wookong-M and the gimbal requires the X3 channel to control the pitch. Also, the ‘Return To Home’ uses X3 and it’s a feature I use quite a lot, and even if I’m not using it then knowing it’s there gives me a great deal of confidence as it is a nice safety blanket. I now no longer have access to this feature whilst the gimbal is attached. I think the Zenmuse pitch not being able to be controlled by a regular RX channel or a user-defined X2 or X3 is a major design flaw and I can’t for the life of me understand why it is essential that it’s is controlled over X3. It’s just crippled a major feature of my Wookong-M. If it’s connected then I have no choice and I can’t even lock the gimbal pitch it into a fixed position and leave it there so I can regain X3 for RTH.

DJI need to have a serious think about this. If it’s not going to be fixed in a future Wookong-M and/or Zenmuse firmware release then I will need to look for an alternative to Wookong and if that’s the case then obviously I would have to get rid of the Zenmuse too.

I’m really very disappointed by this and I’m less likely to use IOC than Return To Home. I would at least expect to be able to make a choice and I can’t. If it was possible to extend the control range thresholds for the RTH switch then I could at least program a TX mix to retain some pitch control if they are on the same X3 channel – ie, the RTH could be trigged if the gimbal was made to go into the last few degrees of pointing upwards.

Anyone have any work-arounds for this?

Phil

I have not found that problem with my aeroxcraft gimbal, in fact they appear to be have far less reported problems than the Zenmuse.

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Ghiro, can you explain what you mean? What feedback are you looking for?
The Zen H3-2D works with the Wookong if you have the latest firmware loaded. What else are you specifically asking about?

I own an F550 with WKM and willing to change my Gimble with a new one, have been looking around and found out that most of these things require Arduino programming and things like that i do not have time to take care about since i'm using the mutlirotor exclusivelly for working purposes. This device seems to be the perfect match for my set up but i haven't yet seen or heard something reliable about it's performances/bugs and willing to find out if it's a reliable product . That's it.

I have not found that problem with my aeroxcraft gimbal, in fact they appear to be have far less reported problems than the Zenmuse.
Probably, that's because there are far less the number of units out there flying and, by definition then, less the number reports... good or bad.

I own an F550 with WKM and willing to change my Gimble with a new one, have been looking around and found out that most of these things require Arduino programming and things like that i do not have time to take care about since i'm using the mutlirotor exclusivelly for working purposes. This device seems to be the perfect match for my set up but i haven't yet seen or heard something reliable about it's performances/bugs and willing to find out if it's a reliable product . That's it.
I can tell you from personal experience and from the people I have heard from and work with, that the Zen H3-2D is reliable and you will love it, that is, if you can get past the price part of it. The early firmware had problems with the Wookong, but that got sorted out in a subsequent firmware release. The same goes for motors overheating for some users, but again, sorted out in the latest firmware. The only outstanding issue I hear is that the servos will disengage on high rate turn because they oversensitized the torque sensors aimed at preventing servo burnout, but I don't know the latest on that.

If you are looking for options, the Tarot T-2D gimbal for the GoPro is 1/3 the cost and also performs very well. From the users I have worked with using it, they enjoy it and doesn't require any programming. Just like the Zen, it works pretty much out of the box, though not as plug and play. The wiring is external to the gimbal, so you'd need to tidy that up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghiro

VideoDroned
Thanks! That what i was looking for.
Next monday i will buy the Zen from a physical shop but i was a little bit concerned about it.

Ghiro

VideoDroned
I’m using it with a Wookong-M and the gimbal requires the X3 channel to control the pitch. Also, the ‘Return To Home’ uses X3 and it’s a feature I use quite a lot, and even if I’m not using it then knowing it’s there gives me a great deal of confidence as it is a nice safety blanket. I now no longer have access to this feature whilst the gimbal is attached. I think the Zenmuse pitch not being able to be controlled by a regular RX channel or a user-defined X2 or X3 is a major design flaw and I can’t for the life of me understand why it is essential that it’s is controlled over X3. It’s just crippled a major feature of my Wookong-M. If it’s connected then I have no choice and I can’t even lock the gimbal pitch it into a fixed position and leave it there so I can regain X3 for RTH.

DJI need to have a serious think about this.
Anyone have any work-arounds for this?

Phil

Same boat here, exactly the same set up, feel screwed up!

Same boat here, exactly the same set up, feel screwed up!
Ghiro, did you read all the follow-up messages on that subject? There are several other ways to trigger Return To Home. Personally, I have no clue why DJI added this control when they already had other ways to invoke RTH.

Cheetah2k

I recently upgraded my Wookong IMU to the metal V2 and now my H3-2D is leaning to one side by about 2-3 degrees (motor side low, camera side high)

Anyone else experience this and know how to sort it? I thought the IMU might have not been level, but I reseated it again with new tape, and still the issue exists.

:(