DJI Zenmuse GH3 gimbal - new firmware wanted!

Here is the graph I sent to DJI yesterday. It clearly shows the stepwise progression in angular pan speed as you increase input and the smooth ramped change when you decrease input.View attachment 16315

Attachments

• zen-gh3-pan-graph.jpg
    zen-gh3-pan-graph.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 407

flitelab

What's the latest view on the GH3 Zenmuse? Looking to get one as we nee a decent 3 axis solution. Is it recommended as a decent option or anything else in the price range better? Can't really find anything else that compares on the market currently for 3 axis.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Personally I would consider getting the original Z15 and modify it for GH3 use - if that is the camera you wish to use. The new Z15-GH3 is very clunky in operation by comparison.

My original Z15 has had some serious abuse, courtesy of a delinquent S800 to which I cannot wait to apply a 15kg sledge hammer, and is still performing admirably. It does its job quietly and, provided it is properly balanced, does not have any real bad habits.

The only advantage with the Z15-GH3 at this stage, until they sort out the firmware, is better access to the camera controls.

flitelab

Thanks. Makes for a hard decision as we would be using the GH3 so I guess the newer version makes for an easier fit.

Regarding Orientation-locked Mode, is that equivalent to the AlexMos follow mode, wherein it holds position with minor yaw but then pans back to center on larger yaw angles?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I use a GH3 on both a modified Z15-GH2 (conversion kit available from Secraft is good to modifiy both Z15-GH2 and Z15-Nex) and a Z15-GH3. The modified Z15-GH2 is currently doing all the work.

I will say though that a successful mod is pretty finicky, as quite a lot of things have to be shifted around to achieve correct balance. That said, I have read lots of reports around here about brand new Z-GH3's being supplied all out of balance. So, whichever way you go you will have to face some sort of modding!

The DJI implementation of the 'Follow Mode' is pretty rubbish. I never use it because the pan axis just ends up jerking around as it attempts to guess what is going on. The main problem with it is it always tries to 'catch up' to yaw movements and it does it too quickly.

flitelab

Thanks. The follow mode issue is a concern since that is really a big plus for 3 axis, having it smooth out those small movements.

vandepoel

i got an aswer from dji regarding the gh3 z15 jerky movement issue and its looking good i hope ...
they know about the problmthey say and wil tryto fix it and implement n next firmware

cbuk

i got an aswer from dji regarding the gh3 z15 jerky movement issue and its looking good i hope ...
they know about the problmthey say and wil tryto fix it and implement n next firmware

That's really good news, its a bug that has been bugging the hell out of me! Such a pity because bar that problem, the Z15 GH3 is rock solid (mine at least). Lets hope DJI try hard to fix this problem but to be honest...I'll believe it when I see it.

Quinton

That's really good news, its a bug that has been bugging the hell out of me! Such a pity because bar that problem, the Z15 GH3 is rock solid (mine at least). Lets hope DJI try hard to fix this problem but to be honest...I'll believe it when I see it.

Funny thing is this bug is NOT in the 5D Zenmuse, it is really smooth with no stepping, it just has other problems that require fixing.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Does the update also address the Pan issue, whereby it stutters and farts after a 100° turn in FPV and Manual modes?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I have never used it in FPV or Manual mode...

Me neither when I am flying and filming and under those conditions I did not know of the problem. It was when I used it as a handheld - just carrying the whole EVO - that this Pan issue showed up when rotating the airframe by more than 90° in Manual and FPV modes. The Z15 jerked and graunched making it impossible to get a smooth end to the shot. The DJI version of 'Follow Mode' is rubbish anyway. Far too jerky as the Pan axis keeps catching up with the rotation.

Other than that the Z15-GH3 does operate more smoothly than the the original Z15 and the suspension is far better with the silicone balls under compression. No need to swap it for something else, as with the original.