DJI Spark

I haven't seen much about the spark but if there is an attempt to hype its before it release its not very effective. I saw a leaked photo or something but not much else. My understanding was that it was just a selfie drone, Plenty of those around already.

jeebs9

I thought this forum wouldn't care lol. It was shot in the dark for me. But your right John there are many other out there already.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ChrisRL

I think quite a few of us got bitten by the Micro Drone startup and are now very shy about these new little guys, in the face of top performers already in the market from people like Hubsan...

jeebs9

Plamcontrol feature alone should spark anyone interest in this drone.

I have watched the reviews and its just a selfie drone. Anyone serious about drones for photography or other applications wouldn't give it a second look. I do believe it will be one of the best selfie drones out there but alas, its still just a selfie drone. HD not UHD camera, 2 axis gimbal, rather short battery life. It has great intelligent flight modes etc and I'm sure it will have rock solid position hold when hovering (in zero wind) but I'm not expecting great things from this drone. It doesn't come with a remote unless you buy the "fly more" package for $700. At $500 for the basic package I see people buying it and just using Wi-Fi and their smart phones as a controller which isn't an ideal way to fly a drone. Plus I believe its aimed at less drone savvy people who are more into their vanity and having the latest gadget rather then being serious about drone technology. I expect to see more fly aways, crashes and accidents with this drone due to the nature of who will be buying it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, DJI puts out some pretty good stuff and anyone willing to pay for the latest smart phone wont balk at the $500 price tag. But its not a serious drone and is very limited compared to even their Mavic let alone their other drones. I don't see myself buying one because to me $500 is a lot of money for a "house drone" but it could really take off (no pun intended).

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have watched the reviews and its just a selfie drone. Anyone serious about drones for photography or other applications wouldn't give it a second look. I do believe it will be one of the best selfie drones out there but alas, its still just a selfie drone. HD not UHD camera, 2 axis gimbal, rather short battery life. It has great intelligent flight modes etc and I'm sure it will have rock solid position hold when hovering (in zero wind) but I'm not expecting great things from this drone. It doesn't come with a remote unless you buy the "fly more" package for $700. At $500 for the basic package I see people buying it and just using Wi-Fi and their smart phones as a controller which isn't an ideal way to fly a drone. Plus I believe its aimed at less drone savvy people who are more into their vanity and having the latest gadget rather then being serious about drone technology. I expect to see more fly aways, crashes and accidents with this drone due to the nature of who will be buying it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, DJI puts out some pretty good stuff and anyone willing to pay for the latest smart phone wont balk at the $500 price tag. But its not a serious drone and is very limited compared to even their Mavic let alone their other drones. I don't see myself buying one because to me $500 is a lot of money for a "house drone" but it could really take off (no pun intended).

All of us old guys that have been flying cameras since 2006 said the same thing about the Phantoms... now that's the "STANDARD PRO COPTER".

The public will determine what's acceptable. And by the look of 90% of the customers looking for aerial photo/video, currently they are fine paying a few bucks for Phantom footage than paying for a proper camera to be flown by a proper team. So if the car dealerships 2 seconds clips can be made by the Spark, and kids are willing to do the work for $25.. you watch and see how relevant they will become.

Wanna buy some HL rigs? See my For Sale ads... I have all the PRO you need.

:D

jeebs9

Totally agree with everything your saying. I have a Mavic pro myself. But because the Mavic can't fit into my pocket. I'm probably not going to buy the Spark. Even though I think some of the features should be on the Mavic. The only reason I like the Spark is because of the palm control. Besides that I don't see myself buying one.

All of us old guys that have been flying cameras since 2006 said the same thing about the Phantoms... now that's the "STANDARD PRO COPTER".

The public will determine what's acceptable. And by the look of 90% of the customers looking for aerial photo/video, currently they are fine paying a few bucks for Phantom footage than paying for a proper camera to be flown by a proper team. So if the car dealerships 2 seconds clips can be made by the Spark, and kids are willing to do the work for $25.. you watch and see how relevant they will become.

Wanna buy some HL rigs? See my For Sale ads... I have all the PRO you need.

:D

I said the same thing as well a lot of us big bad carbon fiber flying 8 rotor heads had said. I also did say while we were so fixated on building the ultimate flying machine for pro 4K, that a formidable 4k system would eventually come out to do acceptable results. Its a fact. I would say the Mavic is already fastley becoming the new pro bird for low budget stuff. My business partner was firsting on a history channel gig recently and overheard them looking for a certified drone pilot to run the DP's "rig." He shows them his 107 card, and lo and behold he's flying the DP's Mavic.

Ironically now you read on forums the word Phantom being used with the word upgrade, LOL. I once thought Phantoms were a complete joke. To DJI's credit, I have to admit the Phantom 4 pro has a very good camera on board. I think it gets better results than the X5 on the I1 Pro. It is limited to serious to work where productions now want Prores or RAW. Its H265 4K is not bad though. Considering a lot of us started with 5D's and FS100's and that was considered acceptable for production value until the RED lifters started emerging. It is decent little camera. Its essentially the same camera as the X4S base camera for Inspire 2's.

I think your right, I can see the ultra low budget using a spark now, like the local car commercial. Of course those are now being done by shops who still use a 5DmkII for the ground camera work. The guys doing all those cheezy local ads are not shooting Weaponized Dragon's or even Scarlets. They are all running 7 year old 1080 ENG or 5D's still while delivering a 720 product. So the Spark will fit right in.

Last edited:

Alexxx

I'm excited! I guess it will be a good pocket drone for capturing the most memorable events of your life.