Dji phantom vision 2 HELP!

Jeffn0506

Hello :
I have just got my new phantom vision ,unpacked it , downloaded the software , it came with all but the transmitter up to date so I updated that , no problems with establishing a link with the repeater , however as per the instructions I went to do a compass calibration & can't get the phantom into that mode ,no matter how many times the switch is toggled . I gave checked the x,y,z, mod & there all normal according to what I have read, there is no compass error but skeptical to fly it until this is resolved ?
any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated ,

jeffn0506

mangoats

How fast are you toggling the switch? If your doing it to slow it will not take effect.

Thanks,
Chris

Jeffn0506

Hae Chris:
fast enough, as i said everything else appears to be ok , the x,y,z, & the numbers are ok from what ive read but ,,,, i didnt want to spool it up , read so many stories of flyaways , ect ,,
would there be a compass error ( lights if it wasnt right ?, or do i have to have ioc s2 enabled ? i ahd the phantom 1 , went in no problem . i did have to update the transmitter firmware , , & i did , all other software was up to date, even tried to rebind it ,, nata,, ????????????????????????

mangoats

What ever you do......DO NOT fly it until you have done a compass calibration. You could easily have a fly away if the compass is not correct.

So basically if you toggle the flight mode switch it never goes into compass calibration mode?

You don't need to be in IOC mode, but normal flight mode with IOC off.

Can you make a video of the software setup and post it so I can see everything?

Thanks,
Chirs

Jeffn0506

hae chris
thank you for the reply , i was just going to bring the quad & transmitter out and try it again , , i have checked everything many times and yet still cant gt s1 to get in the grove, im not sure of what yo need in the video or how to send it to ya ? so glad i didnt fly it , like i said it appears to be right ( the values ) , no error msg , but this calibration is driving me nuts , like i said the only software that needed upgrading was the transmitter , all the rest was up to date , gona pull i all out now and see what happens & hope i hear back from you

Many thanks for your reply

mangoats

I would get the transmitter software updated and then give it a try for the compass calibration.

Thanks,
Chris

Jeffn0506

Hae chris
i know your going to think im nuts ( maybe the 20 degree temps and all the snow up to the roof hasnt helped , i just tried it , worked like a charm , going to try and calibrate it tomorrow do you calibrate every time you fly it ? & @ different locations ??
i did take snapshots of all my settings if you want to double check them

thank you for your help !
jeff in frozen jerzy !

mangoats

When it come to compass calibration you only need to do it one time.......unless you travel up 70 miles away from the point you calibrated. If you travel that far away, do a calibration where every your going to fly.

Also....... make sure you read their instruction for calibration. I could type them out, but that's not fun. Go read them before you do the calibration.

Another thing most people don't understand for calibration. You should not be close to any large structure. Large structure can effect magnetic declination for compass calibration. Go away from everything out into a large field if possible.

Here is a good article to read about it. http://www.rescuedynamics.ca/articles/MagDecFAQ.htm#FACTORS

I wish the best of luck and by all means, make sure your having fun. That's what it's all about!

Thanks,
Chris

Jeffn0506

Chris
A heartfelt thanks !
When you say read " their calibration " instructions do you mean as far as the orentation of the craft ? Do you recommend the dance ? Or just to stand stationary & turn it , then point it down & spin it around . Does it matter which way clockwise or counter ?
A large field is rare in south Jerzy it's so built up , I live 1 1/2 hr north of Atlantic city , it's mostly a shore / resort area up & down the coast , how about having the ocean on one side ?
Awsum article , thank you
Jeff

mangoats

"Or just to stand stationary & turn it , then point it down & spin it around ."

This works fine......as far as place to do the calibration, just find an area close. You should be fine.

Have fun with it bud, let me know if anything else comes up.

Thanks,
Chris

kherol_sp

Hello. Sorry if this question are not related. I just want to know if dji phantom 2 can use other brushless gimbal than the zenmuse. Tq..

mangoats

That's a good question......others please chime in and correct me if I'm incorrect.

The DJI Phantom has a Naza flight controller in it. The Naza can run 2 types of gimbal systems. The DJI Zenmuse and a basic servo controller gimbal. If your wanting to use a external brushless gimbal system, I don't think it would work.

Again, let someone else chime in also with further information.

Thanks,
Chris

Jeffn0506

Chris
I have another question for ya , with the compass being so sensitive how is it best to transport to & from till I get a case for it ? , just try & keep it away from anything magnetic , covering it help any ?
Jeff

mangoats

It will be fine transporting it in the open, you should be fine. It's when you do the calibration that is writes data to the flight controller about the calibration it's self. Transporting it around is not going to affect it.

Thanks,
Chris

Jeffn0506

Hi Chris
I just had to write , I took ur advise , I went to the beach today ,( 1 block from my house , no keys or metal in my pocket & calibrated it . Of course for the first flight I was hoping to be alone , u know it drew a crowd , started the motors & up it went ! Sweet Lorain ! It appears to be more agile than version 1 , a bit windy so I didn't venture far , a little difficult seeing the small I/phone screen , but overall very sweet !
May I ask your opinion of camera settings ?,
Thanks again !!
Jeff

mangoats

Do you mean what camera you should use?

Glad to hear the flight was a success, having fun is what it's all about.

Thanks,
Chris

Jeffn0506

I have the vision 2 with their camera , I thought that's what you had , that's why I asked ur suggestions for the settings