Dji hexa 550 take off weight issues what are my options?

Pinballer

A quick summary to get you guys upto speed

I have built and flown my hexa for a few hours now over thew past month or so and apart from one of the stock DJI 10in props disintegrating for no apparent reason (luckily 4ft off the ground over grass) it has been a relatively easy traansition from many years of flying planes.

So heres my predicament, after the prop fiasco I fitted Graupner 8x5s and it has few beautifully however since upgrading to landing legs, gimble, gopro and FPV gear the weight has shot up considerably and the whole package now weighs 4.5lb / 2041 grams. Today I flew her for the 1st time since installing the legs etc and I am literally on full throttle to keep it airborne!

so do I

1. buy some graupner 10x5s or APC 10x4.7SF if so will this be sufficient? also of note: I cant seem to find anyone in UK stocking either ATM and I dont trust the rubbish DJI ones

2. Mess with gains in the wookong assistant

3. Upgrade motors/esc's or even a heavy lift kit which I really dont want to do if at all possible

finally I have also invested in a Sony Nex5n with 16mm pancake lens this weighs almost 350 grams and I'm hoping once I have enough airtime I can get some quality video/photo stuff so if I've got to shell out I only want to do it once.

thanks in advance Colin

my setup
DJI Wookong M GPS
DJI Hexa 550
Landing legs and gimble from quadframe.com
Gopro hero2 with cut down shell to reduce weight
5.8ghz ImmersionRC 600mw tx and 550 mah lipo
3S 4000 mah lipo
Spektrum reciever
Fatshark dominators with 5.8ghz module

Last edited by a moderator:

I would......go with 10" props (Groupner or APC your choice) better lift and more stable with the heavier load however if your flying with the nex5 I would recommend the heavy lift :( sorry but I would want the power just in case if your flying with that type of equip...just sayin

DaveM

I think I would try a 4S battery to start with.

My F550 is a similar weight, and with a 4S 5000mah and 9x5 Graupners
it is hovering perfectly at 50% throttle and flies about with plenty of power.

Dave

Bella7821

I had my F550 loaded up with FPV gear, landing gear and Sony Nex5n.
First off you need 4s batteries and I would buy 10" Graupners. That's how I had mine set up and it worked perfectly.
Now I have a F450 that's pretty light and using 4,000Mah 3s batteries and it flies fine with 3s but there's not much power. So for sure on your F550 you need 4s batteries. You'll be very happy with the performance of 4s and 10" Graupners.
And don't fly anymore with the stock props, they only last around 15 flights.
This is the cheapest place for Graupners.
http://www.electronicarc.com/catalo...Csid=8e95bfbe36d6035f0d3de8bdf4160a70&x=0&y=0

I fly with 10x5 Graupner and 4S 5000 which gives me 5 minutes with an AUW of 3300 gram. Nothing gets warm, it just works perfect.

Pinballer

it looks like the 1st step is to fly 10in props and maybe try a 4s LiPo before I commit to motor upgrades however my biggest problem ATM is finding a set of 10x5 Graupners or at the very least APC equivalents either way they seem like hens teeth to get hold of in the UK

anyone know where I can get them pretty quick as off on my Jollies soon in campervan and would like to pack the hexa

note I edited 1st post its 4.5lb / 2041 grams (error in poundage its not 2.5lb)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinballer

Awesome stuff dude! they have just came in as I have been watching their site for days. Ordered 4 pairs so i got couple of spares.

I have also ordered 3 x 4s 4000 LiPos at the same time to check if the combo does the job before adding new motors and will let you know how I get on.