DJI GPS Toilet Bowl - Moved Locations

wizzy87

Hey,

I have been flying my TBS with Naza GPS for about 6 weeks back in the UK (Cheshire) no problems, no Toilet bowl effect etc.

it was perfect and would hold its position perfectly.

When i got back to Vancouver, BC, I calibrated my GPS and took it for a test flight.
Its finding it hard to lock my location and has now acquired the "toilet bowl effect"

I haven't changed anything at all.

I searched for some answers on here and found that i need to adjust the magnetic declination, i have adjusted it 16' clockwise and re-calibrated the GPS but to no avail!

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Opps, sorry just seen you set your declination. Try to calibrate again after setting declination, make sure your Disco is facing Mag north and move the compass/GPS module to the correct declination.

When doing the calibrations, remove any jewelry, watch, phone and keep away from any metal structure and power lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi wizzy, I am at 8 deg east positive in Australia and I could not stop mine from toilet bowl until I offset my Naza GPS 30 degrees clockwise this has other consequences like getting it to fly 100% straight in course lock, I have to reset course lock direction after lift off otherwise it follows approx. the 30 degree direction of the offset.
Settings re GPS location in naza are correct double checked these. Calibration done every time changes made.

Initially offset mine at 8 degrees and it really made no difference, then tried 15 degrees this improved toiletbowl (smaller dia circle), then set to 25 deg and it reduced to about 3 ft dia and at 30 degrees it stopped completely. It seems insane to me that I have to set it at 30 deg but it works.
regards - bruce

wizzy87

Hi wizzy, I am at 8 deg east positive in Australia and I could not stop mine from toilet bowl until I offset my Naza GPS 30 degrees clockwise this has other consequences like getting it to fly 100% straight in course lock, I have to reset course lock direction after lift off otherwise it follows approx. the 30 degree direction of the offset.
Settings re GPS location in naza are correct double checked these. Calibration done every time changes made.

Initially offset mine at 8 degrees and it really made no difference, then tried 15 degrees this improved toiletbowl (smaller dia circle), then set to 25 deg and it reduced to about 3 ft dia and at 30 degrees it stopped completely. It seems insane to me that I have to set it at 30 deg but it works.
regards - bruce

thanks guys,
I made some changes this evening and it seemed to improve. Tomorrow I will increase the declination and see how that works.

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Hey Bruce,

Maybe the cap on your GPS unit is not properly aligned? I wonder what DJI's QC process is like.

wizzy87

Just a quick update, i changed the inclination along with a bit of trial and error and it has improved alot.

Still In the testing phase but fingers crossed it carries on behaving.

Thanks for your advice!

Just a quick update, i changed the inclination along with a bit of trial and error and it has improved alot.

Still In the testing phase but fingers crossed it carries on behaving.

Thanks for your advice!

Good to hear, I live here in California have a similar magnetic deviation to you. When I first blew my F550 I had the magnetic compass straight ahead. It flew pretty well, but I noticed when I pushed stick straight ahead drifted left. Just going to memory I just get in the wrong direction and recalibrated. I had introduced the "toilet bowl". I was happy that I was able to see what people were talking about. I moved it to the opposite direction by the same amount and recalibrated and flies straight now.

Happy flying in North America,
Tony

RuralFPV

COWS!!!!
Opps, sorry just seen you set your declination. Try to calibrate again after setting declination, make sure your Disco is facing Mag north and move the compass/GPS module to the correct declination.

When doing the calibrations, remove any jewelry, watch, phone and keep away from any metal structure and power lines.

Nobody ever mentions cement/rebar.

As an occasional backpacker I've taken a couple of land nav courses. The rebar in the cement your standing on can really screw with things. Even buried cable/electrical can mess with them. I'm always supect of any compass in an urban area. I wonder how many people that have trouble never consider what's buried right beneath their feet.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Nobody ever mentions cement/rebar.

As an occasional backpacker I've taken a couple of land nav courses. The rebar in the cement your standing on can really screw with things. Even buried cable/electrical can mess with them. I'm always supect of any compass in an urban area. I wonder how many people that have trouble never consider what's buried right beneath their feet.

Very good point, Iron is a killer with a compass...