DJI GPS Compass Pro (or Plus) question.

Shroppy

I am new to this forum and would appreciate a little experienced help please.

I have a fully built Y6 frame with DJI A2 / IOSD Mark 2 electronics onboard.
Unfortunately it has one mising but vital component - the GPS Compass Pro Plus module.

As I'm sure you know this 'puck' on its own is around £390. Far too much for my already stretched budget.
I had contemplated selling the A2 and going for a Pixhawk but I have been advised by many to stick with DJI's offering.

So my questions are;
Is it necessary to get the GPS Compass Pro Plus or would the original Pro version be perfectly good enough?
What is the real difference and how much better or more reliable is the latest model?
Is there any alternative to a DJI GPS?

I look forward to hearing what you all think.

Thank you.

Nick.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
From what I know there is no other option than the DJI GPS "Pro Plus"

There may not be any difference, all of this came from the fact that a lot of early A2 users had significant GPS issues to the point that many went back to the WKM. Some of us though have had no problems with our original A2 units and continue to fly them today.

The problem though is that when you need to connect the heli to the A2 assistant, you can't hook up to the latest A2 assistant with an old GPS puck, DJI has prevented it. If you don't have any problems then it's OK but if you are having problems then you won't have a choice and you'll have to do the GPS replacement in order to run the latest firmware and access the system via the A2 assistant.

The replacement GPS is available from allerc.com for under $200 but you'll have to consider what it might cost to get it to where you are in the UK.

Good luck and welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!

ps. don't be surprised if you get a few responses telling you to go the Pixhawk route.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
I am not sure what I will say is correct, but it is what I believe is correct.
An e-mail to DJI should help clear the air.
When you purchase a new A2, it comes with the GPS/ Compass PRO.
If you wish, you can send in your "PRO" for an upgrade to PRO PLUS". I think it is around $250.00 USD for the upgrade.
The Pro Plus version is supposed to have better interference protection & faster processing..... I do not own any Pro Plus.
I have (2) "PRO" version that came with the A2 new. Mine work perfectly.... 100+ flights on each....

Bartman

Andy, Is the "PRO" version a newer version that was sold with A2's before they began the replacement program? Are you able to run the latest firmware with the "PRO" version?

I guess I"m trying to figure out if there's a STANDARD, PRO, and PRO PLUS or if we all started out with the "PRO" puck.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
This question I cannot answer.... I waited for all of the A2 "newness" and problems to get ironed out before I transitioned from WKM to A2.
Both of my A2 were purchased from a US authorized dealer since February 2015.... so I do not know what GPS puck was shipped before that.
Both of my pucks say "GPS-Compass Pro" on them.
Yes, both are running the current firmware.

Bartman

i don't have my A2 quad here so I'll have to wait until I'm back at the office to see what my GPS puck says.

Shroppy

UPDATE.

Thank you for your replies and interest.

In the end I found a brand new 'Pro' puck on eBay and expect delivery from the US to the UK in a week or so.
My reasoning being that I if I have any issue with it I can exchange it for the 'Pro Plus'.

I hope I made the right call.

Regards,

Nick.

deluge2

UPDATE.

Thank you for your replies and interest.

In the end I found a brand new 'Pro' puck on eBay and expect delivery from the US to the UK in a week or so.
My reasoning being that I if I have any issue with it I can exchange it for the 'Pro Plus'.

I hope I made the right call.

Regards,

Nick.
While it may be a moot point for you now, the 'Pro' version was the original version and the 'Pro Plus' version was introduced maybe a year or so later as a recommended upgrade. There could have been changes (other than firmware) over the life of these, but any such changes are not documented anywhere I've seen.